Author Topic: Having trouble shooting short bows... Any tips?  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Having trouble shooting short bows... Any tips?
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:40:32 pm »
I have made a couple shorter bows recently around 48" long that have draw lengths of around 22". I am having trouble getting any kind of accuracy out of these bows. I tend to short draw them because I start to feel them stacking and let the arrow fly way before full draw. I have an anchor point at my chin with my thumb, but I can never seem to reach it when I'm shooting at a target. Does anybody on here have any tips for shooting shorties accurately? Any help would be great.

Jon

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Having trouble shooting short bows... Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »
try bending your bow arm more. If your arrows are longer than your short draw, wrap some thread on the arrow shaft at the drawlength so you can feel it when you draw to that length.  These two things helped me.  Good luck!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:31:08 pm »
Oh and I use my same anchor point no matter what the draw length is... I just shorten my bow hand by bending my elbow to compensate... This also helps with my accuracy and maintaining a consistant draw.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
make your bows longer  ;D :D :D

sorry couldnt resist
but thats all i can offer
i dont make or shoot shorties like that
to me a short bow is 60"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:40:49 am »
It took me quite a while to get used to short bows. I had to really concentrate on how I held the bow, my anchor, release and concentration.  One thing that helped me with short drawing is to draw slowly to my anchor, hold for a second then let it down slowly. Do this 3 or 4 times in a row then rest for a while. Concentrate on every aspect of your draw as you are drawing.
  Now if I find myself short drawing I'll come to full draw and hold for a second before releasing. This usually insures you hit your anchor too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »
John one of my first primitive style bows was a 48" Modoc 40lb at 22". I have a short draw anyway but with this bow I can't reach my nocking point.

The feller I

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:53:19 pm »
Jon I started out primitive with a 40 lb @ 22" Modoc style paddle bow. The feller I got it from told me to shoot with a floating anchor. In other words, when you feel the stack you are there. Sounds crazy but it worked after I shot it enough. Never thought I might be doing it wrong until I read the comments to your post.:o

Lane

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:02:22 pm »
No right or wrong... several different ways to skin a cat... :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:41 pm »
 All I can add is to practice a lot and get consistant on every draw. I hunt almost exclusively with short bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:39 pm »
Sorry about the double post.

Lane