Author Topic: what is the heaviest bow you have ever pulled?  (Read 24072 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: what is the heaviest bow you have ever pulled?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 04:00:06 am »

You know the real reason why warbow shooters launch arrows for distance?  ...... Then they cant hold them long enough to get them down on target to shoot flat, so they lob arrows. 

that was certainly the case with me shooting the 100# hornbow; i shot target and it was some of my worst shooting ever. but i hit an old racker in the box the ethafoam target was put on and the arrow punched a hole in it, no kidding.

frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 06:55:50 am »
I don't know for sure but I know I could do more when I was 16 than I can now,at least I
think I could have.I can't remember back that far. ??? Pulling it and shooting it with any amount of accuracy is 2 different things.I go for the ladder. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Far East Archer

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 06:58:46 am »
Hmm I was pullin 85 untill the bow blew at full draw....... Was the most power my little hands ever got hold of. ;D
To answer your other question about age I think thats really great and is well above average in my opinion. I'm almost 16 myself but gonna need to pull a couple more pounds to catch up to ya! ;) Maybe if you train alittle you can be pullin those big bows those guys over in the warbow forum have.

-Alex

a finnish native

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 09:05:41 am »
just have to make one of those monsters first. my aim is to pull 150# some day.. ::)

Newbowyer

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 04:26:59 pm »
Im 16 and I can only pull like 75. So yes I think thats better then average.l

I would die if I tried to pull 75 more then 10 times though

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 07:14:37 pm »
My record is probably in the 50 - 60# range.

I'm a wuss.
:D
Doug from Missouri

Offline Dane

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:15 pm »
But you got to mess around with Browning M2HBs and those other neat toys.

Thus far, 60 is the most I've pulled. Im building a friend an 80 pound bow, and not looking forward to tillering that at all. If it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger, eh?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline heavybow

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 07:34:33 am »
 Well for a 16 year old to pull 92# that is very good in no time you will be shooting 150# soon. marlon ;D

a finnish native

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 07:43:03 am »
thanks   :)

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 09:12:30 am »
Well,

I have pulled a three-hundred pound steel crossbow prod, handbow-style. Only managed to pull it two inches, though. (Lame? Yeah.)

Tuukka

a finnish native

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 11:44:03 am »
jaa Tuukkakin on täällä. empäs huomannut aiemmin.

Ps. sorry for writing in Finnish  :D

Offline jpitts

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 04:46:26 pm »
I pulled DD Quillian's 95# bow back once....shot it ok...hit the target....but was sore for 3 days....that was in 94, couldn't do it today.
60# is fine for me
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline markinengland

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 04:57:54 pm »
I've pulled a 100lb bow, though this was very long and thus smooth. A heavy and long bow is easier than you may think to pull if it doesn't stack. I tried to pull a whip tillered 120lb bow and that just reached a wall at about 20 inches as the weight really built up steeply over that last bit of pull.
I made a 100lb bow but I found this quite difficult to pull until reduced to 90lb so it bent more in the handle and less at the tips. This made a suprising difference as the weight was more progressive.
Pulling a heavy bow is more about technique than anything I think. Guys are pulling bows three times the average draw weight, but they aren't three times as big! Yesterday I watched a guy pull a 170lb bow, anchor, hold for at least a second and then loose.
Personally I think that most fairy fit men could learn to shoot a 90 to 100lb bow without too much strain if they get "into" the bow instead of using arm muscles. Technique and leverage is what it is about. "Proper" target archery methods are about the worst place to start as these do a fair amount of damage to the shoulder joint with 35lb bows!
Mark in England

Offline Kegan

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 12:58:28 pm »
I have to agree with mark on this one. I had been visiting relatives and stopped at a local archery shop. One of the guys was  shooting a 93# yew longbow he ordered from a custom bowyer in Europe. The bow was 77 1/2" long and bent in a perfect semicricle at 34". He let me draw it and it was alot easier to draw then I had thought it would be. Didn't get it the whole way back, but it was very smooth. Wish I had gotten the makers name ;D!

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 03:52:00 am »
My personal best is 110lbs after an entire summer of shooting 50lbs for an hour every day. I feel somewhat pathetic though. Everyone was shooting these beautiful warbows, whereas mine came about when my friend and I said that we might as well just add a few canes into a panda bow we had made, and it came out to 110lbs @ 28in. We called it "The Panda Monster" and have not been able to shoot it since :P
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein