Author Topic: Board bow wood selection input needed  (Read 3832 times)

Offline toymaker

Board bow wood selection input needed
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:23 pm »
I'm starting to get a little wood selection now!! I'm thinking about building my wife a bow. She hasn't shot since she was s kid. I though it would be fun to go to the range as a family , so she needs a bow! I'm trying to save the best for my bow not to be greedy but I will have a much higher draw weight and stress the wood more. With that said Here are the wood choices I have... I have Hickory in both backing strips and belly stock. I also have White Oak in backing strips. i also have a bunch of Ash which I've made two bows out of already. I'm thinking of making a English Longbow. I'd like it narrower than a flatbow. She would be happy with a 30lb draw weight and a length of about 64". So what types of wood combo should I choose? What width should I make it? I know the tillering creates the thickness and the width stays about the same throughout the tillering process. Where should I start? The bow the I blew up was narrower but it was an Ash backed Ash bow with, I think, a glue failure. I'm just looking for a little guidance!
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Board bow wood selection input needed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:03 am »
Hey toymaker...

I just mde my mom a bow.... It is a 64" long selfbow and was made out of a red oak board although any of the woods that you mentioned would work. The bow pulls about 25# at 27"... The bow was made from a 1x2 board with okay grain but with low weights almost any board will work..( within reason) .. Here are the stats..

64" long d-bow with a semi-stiff handle section ( pyramid front view profile)
1.5 inch at the fades tapering straight to 1/2 inch tips...
Limbs are about 3/8 of an inch thick but they started at 1/2 inch thick before tillering.. ( handle is 5/8 inch thick)

The bow tillered very easily with only 3 trips to the tillerin tree:)  it's very sweet shooting and the outer limbs are extremely light so it is vet fast for 25#... And accurate.

I'm going to probably post pics this weekend so you can se what I'm talking about:)

Jon

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:11:04 am »
O yeah.. I almost forgot.. The bow took almost no set.. Only about 1/2 an inch or so.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:28:00 am »
you can probablly take 2 hickory backing strips and 1 white oak backing strip in the middle, glue it up pyramid 1" 1/2" wide down to 3/8 tips  and be real close to 30#, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline toymaker

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:10:45 am »
i think I want to try a ELB style. Does Hickory or White oak work for a backing on Ash in an ELB?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »
It would work... Except you would have to hav a really thin bow for that light of a weight... Especially if the bow is only 64" long.. Therefore unless you use light woods, the bow probably won't have that much of the d bellied longbow shape.. (5/8 rule).. It would have more of a flatbow shape, but would take more work thAn a pyramid type bend through the handle bow.. But If you really want a long bow, GO FOR IT! see how it turns out... I'd be very interested to know. Good luck.

Ifrit

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:30:15 pm »
Do you know what type of ash it is and is that 64" nock to nock or tip to tip? I would think that the hickory or oak backing would overpower most ash species and you would end up with a wife who is scared to touch a bow again :) I tend to treat making a bow for a lady the same as I would a kid in the respect that you don't want to use a weaker wood just to make sure they don't get hurt or scared away from shooting.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline toymaker

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:47 pm »
Thanks for the input!