Author Topic: question about survival equipment.  (Read 3545 times)

Offline thomas h

question about survival equipment.
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:39:53 pm »
anyone ever  made a 2 pc arrow for a pack a way take down survival bow ???

Offline Bevan R.

Re: question about survival equipment.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:42:17 pm »
Can't remember if it was 3Rivers that had something for those MANY years ago. Some kind of screw together joint.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline scattershot

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:16:28 pm »
I've made some from primitive aluminum shafts. The trick is to find a shaft that fits tightly inside another and fit them together. Also, those shafts don't grow in the wild just anywhere.

I suppose you could do the same with rivercane and wooden dowels, but I've never tried it.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:03:38 pm »
how about taking a cane shaft
cutting it in half
then intstall a hardood shaft into one of them
sinew the joint,also sinew the other othe end where it was cut to prevent splitting
then when you want to use it just slip the two halves together
i have an atlatl dart made that way
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:08:55 pm »
i was gonna suggest just what sailordad said.. might have to try it though.  youd have to use a decent size dowel though, or maybe not, just need to experiment.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline thomas h

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:12:36 pm »
how about taking a cane shaft
cutting it in half
then intstall a hardood shaft into one of them
sinew the joint,also sinew the other othe end where it was cut to prevent splitting
then when you want to use it just slip the two halves together
i have an atlatl dart made that way
[/quote}

good idea ill give that a try thanks.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »
The atlatl darts I have made by this method seem to be different in spine than one not cut. I would definitely try it out though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:31 pm »
The atlatl darts I have made by this method seem to be different in spine than one not cut. I would definitely try it out though.

Stiffer or weaker? I would bet stiffer if you put a dowel in them?

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
the darts were made from 2 different pieces of boo. I bet if you used a long piece of cane and cut it, it would actually pick up spine weight
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »
i would guess that the spine might be weaker, as the shaft has been cut in two, and then is basically held together at the joint with the dowel..  if you try it, i would try to get the biggest dowel in there that you could possibly fit.  then wrap the two ends, like already suggested.  im not sure how much stress is put on the actual shaft from the flexing of the shaft as it leaves the bow, but its still something to think about.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:03:14 pm »
I've made plenty of two piece arrows, unfortunately I've yet to figure out how to make them one again.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:05:28 pm »
Now that's FUNNY...Rick...glad to see you back again....missed ya!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:12:32 pm »
ok, i just did a quick experiment..  and it was as i though. the piece i tried as probably at the most, 5/16 at the thick end.  the only dowel i had on hand was 3/16's and i had to file it, but it served its purpose in my test.  since the cut will be in the middle it will affect the total spine. but... im very tempted to test the shaft out.  since youve essentially created two very stiff shafts with a very flexible joint. 

i can imagine, if you wanted to do this, find the thickest usable cane diameter you can use, then, get the biggest piece of dowel you can safely shove in there and try it out.  it will have to fit tight.  i really need to get the proper drill bits to match the dowels, i have a drill bit that is smaller than 3/16s, so i have to shave the dowel down a bit..

definitely dont miss.  probably wasnt a good idea to shoot it in the dark, first arrow shot in a couple weeks..  but i missed, unfortunately i wont get to shoot it again, because the dowel broke.

definitely get the biggest dowel in there as possible..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:48:42 pm by aero86 »