Author Topic: Boot dryer to dry bow?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Jojotater

Boot dryer to dry bow?
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:36 pm »
Do you think this will work? Place a bow in a hanging 4 inch pvc pipe. Cover the top of the pipe except for a small hole. Place a boot dryer  into the bottom of the pipe. This is one of the boot dryers that uses convection, not heat. ???

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Boot dryer to dry bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:21:38 pm »
That much concentrated heat might cause more problems. Cracking, checking, warping in odd directions. I would try it without heat, just air moving.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Jojotater

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:02:45 am »
No heat.

Offline Jojotater

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »
Do any of you make a simple dryer from a pipe?

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:22 pm »
What do you wish to dry bamboo, wood or bows. I guess we need to know the purpose of the dryer. One could build a 72 inch box and put a40 watt bulb in it with a limit switch. and attach a small fan at the end. never totally enclose with out a limit switch or time limit. And if it is a bow you must vent the box or the wood will crack etc.How about a pipe of pvc or heater pipe with a heat gun and both ends open. I use a heat box I built for fg bows years ago. It has a limit switch and 4- 200 watt bulbs. One or two hours does the job. Good luck. Denny

Offline gmc

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
Do any of you make a simple dryer from a pipe?
I personally have not, but don't see why it couldn't be done. There are three main variables to control, air flow, temperature and relative humidity. Of those three, having some dry air movement across the wood is what you're after. The heat will only dry the air further and doesn't really add much value if the air is dry to start with. A dehumidifier that is thermostatic controlled to keep the air dry and moving is perfect. I know, overkill, but I had one stored in my garage that I put to use. So even with all that apparatus, I later found that it would only save me a couple weeks as a stave size down close to dimensions would dry on its own a few weeks later. Hope this helps.
Central Kentucky