Author Topic: Titebond III not "bonding" well to sinew back?? Peeling on some edges??!!  (Read 9665 times)

Offline ohma

Re: Titebond III not "bonding" well to sinew back?? Peeling on some edges??!!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:29 am »
never had a problem with the tite bonds, sinewed several. clean them and clean them again . saves alot of heartache.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
Any time I'm working with sinew or rawhide I wash it with Dawn dish soap then rinse it and let it soak in warm water before glueing it down. Dawn is a great grease cutter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:31:25 pm »
I have a suspicion that by dipping greasy backstrap into the hideglue that by the time Jason got to coating the back of his of his bow he'd diluted his glue pretty good with the grease. Could be why he had so much glue cracking on the bow's back. Perhaps it's wise to mix up some fresh glue before final coating..........Art

Offline 1776J

I have a suspicion that by dipping greasy backstrap into the hideglue that by the time Jason got to coating the back of his of his bow he'd diluted his glue pretty good with the grease. Could be why he had so much glue cracking on the bow's back. Perhaps it's wise to mix up some fresh glue before final coating..........Art

Wow!  I never would have thought that much grease would have disrupted the hide glue that much!!??
I had a small crock pot full of hide glue up to about an inch thick in the bottom of the pot.

Well, I stripped ALL of the titebond off the bow last night....not the most interesting or enjoyable thing in the world!
I noticed it would all come off except for some pieces that actually bonded like I said.
I want to re-coat it, and am thinking about washing it with dawn, but honestly, I don't think that's gonna happen!  I don't want a repeat performance of me sitting peeling off 60 inches of titebond! :o :o :o

So, I think I'll just mix up fresh hide glue and give it a "thin" coating, mix some watercolor pigments in with some shellac, and paint up the bow's back.
Then give it a finish sealing coat of either spar urethane or shellac and call it a day...or end of a crazy glue experience!!! hahaha  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
You could seal the back with shellac first then add the TBIII.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Canuck Archer

In my limited knowledge, I have heard that TB3 goes bad with age.  Unfortuately the manufacturer does not put down the date of manufacture on the bottle.  It might be a fresh of the shelf bottle, but when did they make it?  At any rate, I hope you are able to fix the bow, and get out shooting one day.

Offline 1776J

You could seal the back with shellac first then add the TBIII.

Hmmm,....
this may be a viable option?  I'm thinking just mildly rough it up a bit then add the tightbond.
the reason I liked it is that it held the "cracking" noise of the hide glue down and there was NO cracking hide glue sounds at all.  I thought that was pretty slick....

Offline 1776J

In my limited knowledge, I have heard that TB3 goes bad with age.  Unfortuately the manufacturer does not put down the date of manufacture on the bottle.  It might be a fresh of the shelf bottle, but when did they make it?  At any rate, I hope you are able to fix the bow, and get out shooting one day.

If I chose to try the titebond again, I would actually return this bottle, tell them I was having issues with the glue hardening up correctly, then hit a completely different store and pick up another bottle.

Offline artcher1

Oh, that learning curve............ >:D If you get into that situation again Jason, use the TB sparingly. Try smearing/mixing the TB glue over the hide glue using you finger. Perhaps the reason you didn't get a good bond originally was because you didn't really mix the two glues. Just brushing on may or may not be good enough. Let the first coat dry, sand and add another light coat. Good luck, hope you get 'er shaped up..........Art

Offline 1776J

If not re-applying titebond over the sinew,...How long should I wait for the newly applied sinew to set and harden up "before" I apply any shellac over top of it?  Days,..weeks,..??
I just don't want more peeling issues or anything of the like!   :o

Offline artcher1

If not re-applying titebond over the sinew,...How long should I wait for the newly applied sinew to set and harden up "before" I apply any shellac over top of it?  Days,..weeks,..??
I just don't want more peeling issues or anything of the like!   :o

Never used shellac over hide glue but I would think a week to ten days should be fine Jason.........Art