Author Topic: checking/cracking  (Read 2524 times)

Offline GaryR

checking/cracking
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:06 pm »
As I'm new to bow making I need you to explain a term to me. I was told to seal the tree right after I cut it to prevent checking. Why is it called checking and not cracking? Also, do I need a specific sealer,or can I just paint it with what I have?
   Thanx,
Gary

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: checking/cracking
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:35:29 pm »
I don't really know, but if you look at a cut end that wasn't sealed, you'll note that the cracks often form a sort of checkerboard pattern.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:21:10 am »
Not real sure about the origin of the term "checking", but I think it is derived from the lumber industry,something that maybe sounder better than..."cracking" ?  ???

I have cut alot of wood for bows and have found that good fresh shellac seals out moisture as good as anything. If I didn't have shellac, then I would use a good wood glue,making sure to get good coverage.

As far as paints are concerned,  I would opt for a good enamel based one.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:52:50 am »
I don't know where the term comes from but checking runs with the grain and is caused by wood shrinkage due to drying.
IMO cracking goes across the grain like in a tension or compression fractures. I guess you can get a crack from a splinter that runs with the grain.
  Checks are not fatal to a bow unless it runs off the bow's edge but in that case it the grain was violated anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:59:15 am »
I use paint just dip the ends in a five gallon bucket of exterior paint and call it good.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:15:35 am »
When you cut a tree down, seal both ends of it as soon as possible.  When you remove the bark, seal the wood underneath.  Different types of trees check worse than others.  I know osage checks a lot.  I use wood glue for the ends because it is cheap, and spray shellac for the backs because it is easy to remove later.  You need to get cutting.  The sooner you get some wood dry, the sooner you can start making a bow.  Best of luck.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GaryR

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:13:55 pm »
got it, thanx guys