Author Topic: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!  (Read 70469 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Let the games begin. Bow Trade!
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »
Sounds like Grunt used the free shipping tubes courtesy of his local carpet store.  Marines know how to scrounge, but he'd probably refer to it as "adaptive field tactics".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Grunt

« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2011, 03:01:47 pm »
Yeh, I went to Lowe's and scrounged a carpet tube, borrowed a handsaw from a salesperson and cut the tube in two. I had two mailing tubes.
Sadie, I took four 3 1/2 dia saplings down last fall and split them within hours. Drawknifed the bark off and coated all with shellac. After two weeks outside under cover and then inside for a couple of weeks I laid out a bow and band sawed the shape. Got them floor tillered and set them by for a couple of more weeks. I steamed the staves and clamped them up Perry style. After drying a while I got them on the tree and got a short string on them. I then decided to flip the tips with dry heat. Got the heat gun out and clamped the tips in a form and slowly recurved the tips. Black locust saplings reacted real nice to dry heat so I decided to strengthen the compression factor by toasting the bow's belly. It worked!!  Then it was just a matter to tiller the bows out toast the belly's a bit more and wrap a handle.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:05:02 pm by Grunt »

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2011, 03:16:44 pm »
Grunt the sap wood was left on im guessing? I have some saplings and bigger logs and was not looking forward to chaseing a ring on any of it as the rings are fairly tight and I was under the assumption you had to take the sap wood off?.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline wildman

« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:56 pm »
Sailordad, I am going to send a check to cover shipping the bow back, I will fix it and keep it , if it cost more let me know and I will send the rest along with a new bow.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2011, 12:30:51 am »
Hit a snag with my trade bow! Saw some cracks and don't know what to do. I started a thread looking for help or some other ideas.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2011, 06:15:14 am »
I've got my bow to tiller stage.  I am hoping to get it braced by this evening.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Grunt

« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2011, 10:28:57 am »
Grunt the sap wood was left on im guessing? I have some saplings and bigger logs and was not looking forward to chaseing a ring on any of it as the rings are fairly tight and I was under the assumption you had to take the sap wood off?.

Josh
Yep, did it the easy way. The diameter size [3 1/2"] and the damp soil where the sapling was grown yielded 5 nice fat rings. I just removed the bark and went to work. Mind you the four saplings I cut were second growth from one stump of a eight inch diameter tree I cut five years ago. A whole bunch easier than chasing a ring. One other thing, I kept the bottom limb towards the earth from which it grew and the top limb towards the sky that the sapling was reaching for.
Grunt

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #232 on: April 07, 2011, 01:13:48 pm »
K thanks Grunt

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #233 on: April 07, 2011, 11:11:09 pm »
I got my trade bow to a 4" brace height today.  The left side is the lower limb.  I am trying to leave it a little stiffer than the top.  How does the tiller look?

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2011, 01:49:26 am »
That whole thing with the broken bow is one of my biggest fears about making bows for people who live outside my area. I guess its a control thing, but I need to launch about 100 arrows on my own, then put the bow in their hands and watch them shoot the thing a few rounds to make sure that we both know the bow is where it needs to be. This way we both also know that any issue that arises is more likely to be a maintenance issue versus a "manufacturing" issue. This bow trade is definitely taking me out of my comfort zone, which I think is a GOOD thing. Anyhow, my trade bow is going to be a design that I have been wanting to try for the longest time. Basically, if my mad scientist idea works, the end result will be a cool bow that also relieves my personal insecurity. And to my intended victim...er...recipient, you'll be glad to know I'm about halfway there.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2011, 01:56:04 am »
 >:D lol
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2011, 03:10:27 am »
I got my trade bow to a 4" brace height today.  The left side is the lower limb.  I am trying to leave it a little stiffer than the top.  How does the tiller look?

Osage, that looks real good.  Is the bow sitting perfectly horizontal on the tillering stick?  If I rotate it a little counter clockwise to line the bow back up with the grid it makes the lower limb look a little weaker but not a big deal.  I think it's going to be a good bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »
First of all, my picture is crooked.  Didn't notice it until I posted it last night.  The lower limb has just a bit of a natural hump or deflex right below the handle.  It is straight on the tillering board, but just looks crooked due to the shape of the stave.  You have a sharp eye. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »
Ah, sorry.  I should've known better than to assume the osage was straight. :D  Good work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2011, 07:21:01 pm »
I got it to 5 1/2" brace height.  I might just leave it at that.  I think the tiller looks good.  Now I just need to do shape the handle and sand it.