Author Topic: First Ash bow update  (Read 3305 times)

Offline SiongSA

First Ash bow update
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:59:10 pm »
Hey guys,
Its been a while since i posted anything about the ash bow i'm working on, so time to bore you.
So i only got round to putting reflex into one of the limbs as you can see in the pics, this is after 3 failed attempts on the lower limb. It is never gunna have the most perfect tiller in the world nor is it ever gunna win BOM but i did use a pocket knife after all lol. So the stats are 69" tip-tip 30lb @28" but after the first reflex the draw feels like its gone up a lot so i'm guessing after both reflexes are in i might just be able to get it 40lb+ although measuring the draw weight isn't something i like to do in a hurry (long story short it takes about an hour). I also added a leather handle wrap which i got from a free furniture store leather sample (i'm cheap i know). anyway here it is:
Unbraced:

Braced:

Full draw (excuse the bed-had)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: First Ash bow update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:41:10 pm »
"so time to bore you" I dont think thats possible on this site lol The bow and handle look great IMO especially for useing a pocket knife. I bet it shoots nice, I also like your pictures and your fence ;D Good job!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:01:07 pm »
I also added a leather handle wrap which i got from a free furniture store leather sample (i'm cheap i know).

I wouldn't call that being cheap, it's being thrifty, or frugal if you're into the whole freegan thing :)

Looks pretty good, the difference in the reflexes of the limbs add character to the bow. How does it shoot?

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »
I also added a leather handle wrap which i got from a free furniture store leather sample (i'm cheap i know).

I wouldn't call that being cheap, it's being thrifty, or frugal if you're into the whole freegan thing :)

Looks pretty good, the difference in the reflexes of the limbs add character to the bow. How does it shoot?
Very nice but i haven't found arrows spined correctly yet, the arrows always go to the right, which makes being accurate almost impossible, i even thinned out the handle but that doesn't work, how do you spine your own arrows? also if i keep the one limb unreflexed should i shoot the arrow close to the reflexed limb if you know what i mean so that the limbs are relatively equal? ALSO whats the problem with the two limbs not being equal, will it effect performance much?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:41:51 pm »
YOu sure did well with that stave. Nice work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:40:42 pm »
Very good work, especially since you only used a pocket knife. Beautiful view as well! Do you speak Afrikaans?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:11:08 am »
Nice job young man,looks like a keeper to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ohma

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:47:24 am »
that rocks man,keep on building.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:16 pm »
Very good work, especially since you only used a pocket knife. Beautiful view as well! Do you speak Afrikaans?
naa , i'm originally British, i moved to SA bout 3 yrs ago, thanks for all the incouraging comments guys, time to get started on another one :)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »
What a beautiful bow!  You have alot of dedication to carve the whole thing out with a pocket knife Tiller looks great on it!  Bookmarked for Feb BOM contest too!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:57:37 pm »
You did very well!  I have great respect for that, I can't claim I've carved one with a pocketknife.  Great work!
1’—>1’