Author Topic: good day  (Read 2066 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
good day
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »
so my buddy bought a bunch of salvaged stone from a guy in massachusetts. its all reclaimed from old barn foundations. well aparently they liked to build foundations in vermont with rhyolite. gonna have 45,000 lbs of rhyolite delivered next week. blessing or curse?   ???

also got a call from an archeologist from yale university's peabody museum. looks like i will be doing aboriginal reproductions for the biggest museum in new england. happy days.  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: good day
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »
It is a cursed blessing. You will have rhyo for years. Bring some to NC see if it will reproduce with the native rock ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:20:25 pm »
Sounds like you hit the jackpot on rock, Jamie. It sure would be sweet if it is that green looking candy stuff James Parker has. And Congratulations on the Museum Gig, your the man to do it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »
45,000 pounds? Sheesh! That aughta keep ya busy for a week or two ::). Drop some off with TJ and I'll pick it up later in year, hmm....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:39:49 pm »
Hope its good stuff.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:47:41 pm »
its hellacious, brutal, nasty $#$##%^$$# stuff. i love it  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
OK scracth that last part of that PM I sent ya Jamie.....sounds like you're set!

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:16:04 pm »
45,000 lbs of the same rock. It's kinda like eating oatmeal every day for a year. I like oatmeal but ya got to have some variety. I've never knapped Rhyolite . Is there much variety in it? No disrespect in my comments.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »
45,000 lbs of the same rock. It's kinda like eating oatmeal every day for a year. I like oatmeal but ya got to have some variety. I've never knapped Rhyolite . Is there much variety in it? No disrespect in my comments.

Yes there is....hard, harder, hardest, and why the @*%^ did I carry this out of the woods?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:20:57 pm »
Dang!  A VERY good day!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »
most of this rock is gonna be used for masonry. just nice to know i have as much rhyolite as i need. plus i think with that much stone i can really figure out how to work it best. justin the rock that james parker has works like candy , so there is really good rhyolite out there. most of it is tougher than hell.

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »
most of this rock is gonna be used for masonry. just nice to know i have as much rhyolite as i need. plus i think with that much stone i can really figure out how to work it best. justin the rock that james parker has works like candy , so there is really good rhyolite out there. most of it is tougher than hell.

He's got connections...the rest of have to wait til the water turns to ice before we can walk on it  ;D Theres some good stuff out there, no doubt.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:57:19 am »
Don't forget about me bro.   Lol wow
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:41:54 am »
russ id gladly give you a bunch of this. i gotta find my bats for this stuff. i actually prefer quartz over this.

waterbury, ct