Author Topic: Wood ID help - a strange one  (Read 4411 times)

Offline profsaffel

Re: Wood ID help - a strange one
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:46:07 am »
Hey, crooketarrow, hillbilly61. Nope, the one tree I'm sure it's not is sweetgum. I know sweetgum (and those darned annoying balls that come with it). I actually questioned several times if this could be sweetgum, but I would have noticed a sweetgum in the front yard long ago I'd imagine. Good suggestion though.

Unless... the saplings don't produce the balls? That would make a difference. Ugh, now I'm questioning it again.

Thanks for all the responses.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 11:47:13 am »
Shoemake or maybe red bud, is it pretty hard wood or kind of soft. Looks like from the rings it a fast grower.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 03:10:30 pm »
The leaves and bark of ailanthus have a nasty musty smell, and I've never noted a milky sap.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:24 am »
I took a closer look at the tips and they have alternating buds very consistent with mulberry. I also did some more reading on the red mulberry and it sure sounds like the same tree. I'm going to move on it like it's mulberry, see if I can follow one growth ring for the back, and get that wood bending (after a few months of drying, of course).

Thanks!
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery