Author Topic: hedge apples ??  (Read 1762 times)

Offline sonny

hedge apples ??
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »
I grabbed a couple of hedge apples one day when I headed back to my truck after hunting, placed them in
one of the compartments in the bed of my truck. Just thought about them- they're soft but I don't think
they're rotten,, wondering if I should freeze them or not.
suggestions ??   
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hedge apples ??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »
Glenn, place them in a bucket of water until spring then dig a shallow trench and pour the slush in the trench and cover it up. Most should germinate a bit later in the spring. The seeds won't rot and need time in the cold to break their dormancy so the way you have kept them so far is OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »
I know this is an old thread but its what I've been looking for. In the fall of 2009 I put some horseapples in the freezer, then in spring, planted them in quality soil and sprouted a number of beautiful weeds. So, fall of 2010 I put them in the soil right away and now am waiting for sprouts. Will the new method work? If not, what to do when I get more the fall of this year? Does anyone sell just the seeds? Thanx for the help.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »
My brother told me about an article he had just read that said to put the apples into the water and make a slurry out of it. Then poor it into a trench. The premise was to make an Osage Hedge to keep livestock in without running a fence line. Sounds just like what Pat was saying to do.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:09 pm »
I thought about doing the same and scouted out the 3 Hedge rows I know about locally...seems the squirrels & rabbits beat me to them this year  ::)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~