Author Topic: knife making question???????  (Read 1934 times)

Offline cracker

knife making question???????
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »
I'm making a knife out of one of those king size hack saw blades like goes in the motorized hack saw very good steel works great problem is when I get ready to drill holes in the tang for the pins the drill will barely make a scratch. The question is how do I drill it? I'm thinking about heating those spots red hot with a pencil torch and let them cool. We've done this at my shop to drill abrasion resistant plate that is bout 480 to 500 hardness and it works great how about on this stuff?
Thanks in advance. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sailordad

Re: knife making question???????
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »
ronnie, ive had tht same problem on saw blade knife blanks ive made
i solved it exactly as your thinking  ;)

its works well and if you clamp the blade in between two pieces of steel they will work as a heat sink
and the blade itself shouldnt loose any tempering either
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »
Thanks Sailordad we use that method on very hard plate but it aint this hard,Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline lerxst

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »
Have you tried carbide bits?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:43:35 pm »
for the last KITH, I went through 4 Tungsten bits and 3 dremal Tungstem Carbid cutters trying to punch holes through the edger blade steel I had used. I had not thought of pin heating the drill spots.  Thanks Tim.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:39 pm »
Ronnie...heat it with a Propane Torch...just make sure that the Blade itself don't get too hot...just the Tang....this way you take some of the Temper out of the Tang so the Bit will drill through it...I normally drill mine before I temper them...but with a Hacksaw Bled...the temper is already there...but you don't need the Tang to be tempered anyways...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:04 am »
   Your surpose to aneal the blade. Take the temper out and put it back in later after harding. But its is so hard beause it's been temper good for that kind of steel.  To heat will take your temper out which you don't want.You don't want the blade to change colors.  Cover the blade part the potters clay and only heat the spots you want to drill keeping the flame pointed away from the blade. Use just enough heat to drill you dont have to get it red. DON'T QUENCH IT LET IT AIR DRY drill holes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »
   Your surpose to aneal the blade. Take the temper out and put it back in later after harding. But its is so hard beause it's been temper good for that kind of steel.  To heat will take your temper out which you don't want.You don't want the blade to change colors.  Cover the blade part the potters clay and only heat the spots you want to drill keeping the flame pointed away from the blade. Use just enough heat to drill you dont have to get it red. DON'T QUENCH IT LET IT AIR DRY drill holes.

That's right  crook you don't want to heat the blade and by normalizing it by air cooling it should get close to what it was before you heated it in the future if you want to anneal some metal like old files ect you want to cool it muck slower you want to heat it to a cherry red and then cool it real slow a cheap way to do it is use catlitter the bentonite works great I'd just cut the side of the bag open place the hot steel on it and lay another bag ontop it won't cach the bag on  fire itl just smoke alot lol an dost it cool overnight
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995