Author Topic: Tree ID Help?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Tree ID Help?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 12:05:42 pm »
Looks like Osage to me,I'm with David never cut them that big at least if they are gnarly as that one appears to be.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medic336

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:02 am »
Well its osage for sure. Went by Sunday afternoon and the line crews had been out on Saurday and cutalot of the upper limbs. Unfortunatly all they left was alot of tangled up stringy pieces of wood. Did pick up a few small pieces intact maybe I can get a bow out of something but will probably have to splice this stuff to get long enough. Got a couple of pics  of the rings and grain .

Offline medic336

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 11:18:27 am »
The ring pic is 3"actual size width,pretty tight ringed stuff. Still lots of good long straight limbs in the top. Gotta find out who owns it. Thanks for the Help ya'll.

Offline medic336

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 04:26:45 pm »
 Well can't get anymore wood than what I scavenged. Tree is Part of a National Historic site. Seems the Cabin of Principal Chief of the Cherokee(Chief John Ross) just before the Indian removal(Trail Of Tears) was about 30 yards from this tree and was bought by the Land Mark society and is protected by the National Park Service. Do have a few pieces I was able to pic up off the ground that the tree guys left behind. Wonder if the chief planted that old tree to make bows out of. ???