Author Topic: Rendering Bear Fat  (Read 3091 times)

Offline ahawi stick

Rendering Bear Fat
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »
I have around 10 pounds of raw fat removed from a black bear. Is the rendering process simply heating the fat in pot and skimming the oil off the top? Thanks for any input.
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

Offline sailordad

Re: Rendering Bear Fat
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »
not sure how to do it
but with that much lard
i have a funy feeling your about to make a bunch of friends once its rendered  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »
You want to heat it and render it down to liquid state(very hot oil  :o ) but you will skim off the crud that comes to the top and cool the grease enough to strain it then into sealed mason jars. Be very careful because the hot grease can cause severe burns and combust if it gets too hot. You might do it in small batches for safety sake.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:07:22 pm »
I use a very large cast iron skillet to render out my deer fat.  I dice the fat nice and fine and drop it in the skillet, put the skillet in the oven and set the heat at 200 degrees.  No need to get things screaming hot, that only scorches the fat and lowers it's quality.  I've also been told the better quality fat melts at lower temps and that which melts at higher temps is more likely to go rancid quicker.

With the lower temps it will also be lighter in color.  I learned that the hard way.  I have about 8 lbs of pure white deer tallow and one pound of brown. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:36:49 pm »
Cut it into little 1 inch chunks, put in a pot and turn on enough heat to start it melting,keep the temp as low as possible and render it until the chunks are rendered out and brown.Strain them out let the grease cool until you can strain it through cheese cloth,pack in masons and store in a cool spot. It's a very fine fat.
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline ahawi stick

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:01 pm »
Thanks Pat, JW,and Sparrow for the info. Pat, I'll take your advice on making small batches. Sailordad, the 10# is only the amount I have on hand, more promised to me  ;D
" The Right To Keep And Bear Arms"..Bows, Arrows, Spears, Celts...  Kevin , North Carolina

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:42:59 pm »
Bear fat is just as good, if not better than hog fat for cooking. Almost hate to hear it used for anything else. Lol