Author Topic: sinew bowstring question  (Read 5346 times)

Offline luke the drifter

sinew bowstring question
« on: February 27, 2011, 12:41:01 am »
if not beeswax, is there anything that can be used(other than water)to keep a string limber and not dry out?  by the way, i really enjoy making these strings.  it is quite relaxing, though it does have an aroma.  that may be because i am using elk backstrap sinew. i do not know.  in reference to another topic i posted, i believe i will go ahead and unwind that one string that i made.  will this affect the sinew's re-usability?

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
Re: sinew bowstring question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:21:53 pm »
You raise an interesting point. I have always used water while making the string, then applied beeswax, lard, etc to soften and water proof after the string was finished. Now I will try your concept and pre-treat the sinew. It makes sense, now to figure out what I want to use. HMMM perhaps mink oil? Neatsfoot? Olive oil? Or like you said just stick with beeswax. Well what th heck, there is still enough winter left for me to try all those options.

Thanks for this idea, can't wait to try it out.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:43:44 pm »
If not beeswax, is there anything that can be used (other than water) to keep a string limber and not dry out?

A humidor.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »
I never used sinewstrings but jackcrafty might have a good idea.As a cigarsmoker i have a pockethumidor that holds 4-5 long coronatype cigars.
And it contains a built in moisturiser(is that spelled right?)that you just load with water.It will hold a bunch of strings moist and supple.
and if you mix destilled water and propyleneglycol 50/50 it will hold 65-70% humidity (dont know if that is good for strings tho )

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »
and if you mix destilled water and propyleneglycol 50/50 it will hold 65-70% humidity (dont know if that is good for strings tho )

Sounds like a type of anti-freeze?

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:13 pm »
Yes it is a antifreeze and is also used as a solvent for cosmetics like lipsticks and creames

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:48 pm »
I don't have much experience with sinew bowstrings, but my first thought was "why would you want it limber and not dried out?". water causes sinew to stretch, not a quality you want in a bow string. Dry may be stiff, but i don't see a problem with the stiffness. I don't think sinew will weaken if dried out. You may want it damp in order to tie good knots in each end, but once that is done, i think a stiff dry string would work fine. I have one siew bowstring, which i hardly use, but it is dry and stiff as a wire but works fine.
good luck
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"