Author Topic: thinking about building first takedown  (Read 2623 times)

Offline sadiejane

thinking about building first takedown
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »
have some bits of osage too short for a full bow, but good wood otherwise.
thought about picking up one of those take down kits from 3 rivers.
of course, ive never built a take down before.
you folks thoughts on taking two different pieces of osage,
turning separate limbs into a td bow?
thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline DEllis

Re: thinking about building first takedown
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:39:58 pm »
I'm planning to make one but three piece like the takedowns made of "that substance that we shall not name here" with limb bolts to hold the limbs to the riser. Not exactly primitive but a good way to use short wood and a handy style too. The socketed handles work well, but make the grip a bit big if you like slim grips. Have fun with it.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »
ya don't have to use fg to build a 3 pc takedown, I've built 3 useing all wood 'cept for 4 bolt's and tee nuts, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DEllis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »
ya don't have to use fg to build a 3 pc takedown, I've built 3 useing all wood 'cept for 4 bolt's and tee nuts, Bub
Yup, that's what I meant..........still not truly primitive though........but it'll work dandy and none of that nasty FG stuff ;D
I'm planning to set the bolts in the riser and make a wood or antler covered nut to hold the limb on with........no tools necessary for takedown.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »
If your osage is from the same tree, or better yet, the same log/stave you shouldn't have to worry about matching them up.
I've made several TDs using just a 4 1/2 " long piece of 1" steel conduit (allow  2 1/4" on each limb for the insert tines) It works fine; not as professional as a 3 piece $40 kit, but it works.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »
I make them with steel and brass sleeves.  I've gone to using horn overlays where the backing goes into the steel and brass as I've had problems especially with bamboo backed osage with the bamboo backing giving way from violating the backing fibers.  I think its a good thing to do overlays on osage self bow backing too when entering the sleeves.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:17 am »
I have made several,I usually make them from broken bows, Then just tiller the limbs to match.I use the sleeves from Three rivers.I think there is a build along of sorts in the Build along threads.
If fact I think there are several there. Never really built one just to build one but if I did a matched set of billets would work great for that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:16 pm »
I do the same as Pappy I make them from the good limbs of broken bows.  You can just tiller them to match.  I built one from a hickory backed Ipe limb and a bamboo backed Ipe limb a year ago.   Both bows lost a limb while tillering and I salvaged the good limbs and put them together.  I used the 3 Rivers Takedown sleeve kit and it worked great the bow is still shooting.   Check it out.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17285.0.html

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln