Author Topic: Wood lamination  (Read 2437 times)

Offline toymaker

Wood lamination
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:35:30 am »
I did a lot of driving today and had lots of time think about all kinds of stuff. One of the things I thought about was Quatersawn vs Flatwawn wood. They are basically 90 degrees from one another. Since quartersawn is best for backings I was thinking if a Flatsawn board is cut in half and glued together it would be wide enough for a backng. Then this new board could be sliced thin for multiple backers. This picture shows what I'm thinking. I was wondering if this would be strong enough. If I did this I would put the glue line dead center the length of the bow. If I did this would it work for a flat bow as well as an ELB? If this would work how about a trilamb setup with a dark wood pinstripe in the center?

The reason I'm thinking about this is I'm finding a lot of flatwsawn wood and almost zero quartersawn...
Red is cut lines, purple is glue lines.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Wood lamination
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:05:01 am »
I can't see why that wouldn't work.  A good glue line is supposedly stronger than wood.  I think a better idea would be to find a flat sawn 2 x 10 and rip that up the way you describe.  Even if it's not perfectly flat sawn, you will end up with plenty of nice bow blanks, and there will be about a 3 inch section in the middle that will be perfectly quatersawn, and ideal for backing strips.

Kinda like this:

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:06:48 am »
Makes sense I dont see why it wouldnt work as long as a good glue was used. I am curious if others have tried this?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:21:50 am »
that sounds like it should work, now i have something new to try ;D, well.... on top of all the other new stuff i find out each day
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what