Author Topic: Arm guard leather carving (Finally finished!!)  (Read 32390 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Arm guard leather carving
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:49 pm »
Cam your work is incredible to say the least. That is going to be a jaw dropper for sure. Then again so is the one that i already got from you ;D  Still going to have to get some pics of it up for every one to see. ;)

Thanks Keenan.  I'm hoping to inspire others to take up the craft.  It makes a good winter hobby when it's too cold to be out in the garage.

Ya, a picture of the one I sent you would be nice, I'd like to see how it looks after you finished it off!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:13:44 pm by Cameroo »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 01:12:41 am »
Got a bit more done tonight.  Not really sure that the redish stain I mixed was the best choice for the tree leaves :P But it's done now.  It must be Autumn :)  I'm kinda at a stand-still now though, because I'm thinking the pine trees are going to need some green, which I don't have.  Gotta make another trip to Tandy I guess.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 01:41:21 am »
With those antlers, It is definately fall!   Coming along great.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DEllis

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »
That's coming along nicely! Beautifully carved.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

JustinNC

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 07:09:01 pm »
Incredible!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »
wow that does look good.  Very professional.  Nice fall colors too making me look forward to next autumn deer season.  8)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:07 pm »
I keep coming back to see what you've updated, and it just keeps getting better...
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 09:11:47 pm »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.  This is my first attempt at anything this detailed, so it's nice to hear I'm doing something right :)

I decided to add some color, so I went to Tandy after work today and picked up an assortment pack of 12 different stain colors.  Set me back $50, but I shouldn't have to worry about not having the right color for the job now.  Hopefully I can get some more work done later tonight.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 10:24:57 pm »
$50, that's all you spent at a Tandy shop?  Man, it's like project overload whenever I stop in at the one near me, thankfully it's 45 miles away  >:D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »
$50 this trip, but I've been there about 4 times in the last 10 days :)  I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there.  The only reason I didn't walk out with more this time is because Kelly was waiting in the car and had to get to an appointment, so I had to be in and out :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 03:13:00 am »
This seems to be taking forever.  I didn't finish tonight, got suckered into shopping with Kelly, and then a guilty pleasure - watching Survivor.

But I got some color on, and things are coming together nicely.  I also tried the mahogany gel antique around the outside.  I was concerned that when I wiped it of it would smear into the red on the leaves and ruin them.  I was happy to see that even when I did accidentally smear it onto the leaves, it wiped right off.

Gotta do something with the grassy area up front, and then something to make the clouds and geese pop a bit.  Then a finish of some sort, and the hard part is done.  Then it's just a matter of punching some holes and putting a couple snaps on.  The end is near!

Here's where she's at now (I wish I could get some better pictures):

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 12:05:40 am »
I think I pretty much finished up the dyeing/staining/antiquing.  Now I think I'll let it dry overnight before I apply the finish.  I think I'll use Super Sheen again. I bought some carnauba creme to try but realized afterwards that its made more for finishing flat surfaces.  It builds up in the crevices of tooled leather and leaves a waxy residue.

With any luck, it will be done tomorrow night!

There isn't a single light in my house that doesn't distort the actual colors on this thing.  I added some lighting effects in photoshop on this one that improved it a bit, but I'll have to take some pictures in daylight when it's finished.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 02:58:35 pm »
Very nice work, Cam.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 03:20:29 pm »
sweet, great color selection.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline DEllis

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:00 pm »
Beauty! I like how you kept the colors in the sky nice and subtle.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!