Author Topic: price for ipe  (Read 7058 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
price for ipe
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »
im new to this wood and was going to get a board to use and was wondering if 21.60 would be a good price for a 3-1/2 in wide, 1 in thick and 8ft long board
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: price for ipe
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:06:37 pm »
I think that is about what I get it for.  There would be alot of bows in that piece as ipe can handle being very narrow.  Make sure you back it with either hickory or bamboo.  I have made Ipe bows as narrow as one inch.  (around 50 lbs.) I would get it if it were knot free and the grain looked halfway decent.  take a damp rag with you when you go to get the board so you can wipe it to see the grain.  Some boards it is hard to see the grain.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:08:40 pm »
I think that's slightly higher than what I pay locally, but not bad.   $21 is much less than most staves.   If you split it down the middle and make ELB style bows, that's only $10.50 a bow!   If you resaw it into belly strips you'll be paying only~ $5 per strip.  That all sounds pretty good to me.    Ipe is so dense that it works best to make fairly narrow bows.  1" to 1 1/8" wide works for me, but others have made bows as narrow as 3/4".
Of course all that is predicated on the board having good straight grain.  Some boards definitely have swirls and run off.  The grain can be hard to read, so even the best boards are probably best backed with something to prevent lifting splinters.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:11:33 pm »
I think that is about what I get it for.  There would be alot of bows in that piece as ipe can handle being very narrow.  Make sure you back it with either hickory or bamboo.  I have made Ipe bows as narrow as one inch.  (around 50 lbs.) I would get it if it were knot free and the grain looked halfway decent.  take a damp rag with you when you go to get the board so you can wipe it to see the grain.  Some boards it is hard to see the grain.
i was planning n backing it with maple and the linen, and it is going to be a 150-160lb warbow, so im guessing 1-13/4 - 2 wide and 80+long
thanks
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »
First off 1 3/4" to 2" is too wide for an ipe bow and I don't think maple will handle the kind of weight you are want to achieve.  Like I said last night, contact the guys on the War Bow thread and see what they recommend. There are very few guys here on the "Bows" thread that deal with bows that heavy.
 You really need to do more research on war bows, charactoristics of different woods and different designs before you jump into this. How many heavy bows have you built?  Will you post pics of any heavy bows you have done so we can see at what level you are working?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »
First off 1 3/4" to 2" is too wide for an ipe bow and I don't think maple will handle the kind of weight you are want to achieve.  Like I said last night, contact the guys on the War Bow thread and see what they recommend. There are very few guys here on the "Bows" thread that deal with bows that heavy.
 You really need to do more research on war bows, charactoristics of different woods and different designs before you jump into this. How many heavy bows have you built?  Will you post pics of any heavy bows you have done so we can see at what level you are working?
the heavy bows i have made so far are really only worth it for strength training, and im going to see if i can get hickory locally, i haven't seen it, but i did find ipe so maybe ;D
the point of this topic was more to see if the price for ipe i found was good or not, not really to talk about the design of the bow, ill keep everyone updated with this bow that i'm planing on making with pics, by the way, since i am just showing the bow when i do that, should i keep it on the bow area, or post it on the warbow thread because of the weight/;
thanks
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
also, like i think i have said before, i like to plan with extra , just in case i mess up while working on it on one side of something like  that, when i comes down to it, i don't really trust myself with a small margin of error that much and like room to mess up
thanks
noel

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »
 Noel;

You need to let your fingers do some walking on the Key Board and learn a little something. You are bouncing all over the place. Have you made a bow yet that is a "shooter"? And I'm not talking about from a green branch. There isnothing wrong with Branch bows, but, Ipe is quite a step up.Ipe is not beginner wood unless you have a good income and don't care about the money you wasted on backing strips.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »
ive been reading all of your posts/topics
you claimed to have made all these heavy weight bows(wether they be for training or shooting)
and yet you have no idea on designs,tips size,woods etc

and yet on january 26th(i believe that was the date) you stated your were new to bow building
so have you progressed this far that rapidly or are just boosting your own ego?
not trying to be mean,just trying to understand  :-\
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:49:20 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:38:40 pm »
That is not a bad price.  I just purchased a 1"x4"x12' ipe board and it was $39.16 with tax.  Or $3.05 a foot.  I purchased a 1"x9"x6' board a while back and it was rite around $60 with tax.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »
Noel;

You need to let your fingers do some walking on the Key Board and learn a little something. You are bouncing all over the place. Have you made a bow yet that is a "shooter"? And I'm not talking about from a green branch. There isnothing wrong with Branch bows, but, Ipe is quite a step up.Ipe is not beginner wood unless you have a good income and don't care about the money you wasted on backing strips.
i have made shooter bows, its mostly just the last 2 that aren't, the second t last would have been, but i need to reinforce the tips because they are splitting

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57:22 pm »
ive been reading all of your posts/topics
you claimed to have made all these heavy weight bows(wether they be for training or shooting)
and yet you have no idea on designs,tips size,woods etc

and yet on january 26th(i believe that was the date) you stated your were new to bow building
so have you progressed this far that rapidly or are just boosting your own ego?
not trying to be mean,just trying to understand  :-\
i think i might have misspoken, i have made a few heavy weight bows, but yes i need to still work on the designs, i also haven't worked with many different types of wood, so in trying to use different  types i am running into problems,
also yes i have progressed pretty rapidly, only because i have had experience working with my hands for a while and i spent a little to much time on bows and too little on homework lately
hope this clears thing up a little

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 01:52:05 am »
im just wondering, how did this go from me asking whether this is a good price to examining and critiquing my plans, dont get me wrong, this is definitly helping me, i'm just curious on how it switched topic so much  ???
beetlebailey1977, thanks, you pretty much gave me the answer i was lookig for
thanks everyone for your wealth of knowledge, and caring enough to attempt to steer this stouburn teenager to the right dimensions and techniques ;D
thanks again for the help
noel
PS: if something doesn't make sense, tell me, i sometimes have problems getting whats going on in the mess of my mind into comprehensible sentences ;D

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:39 am »
You are welcome.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »
 At 1' wide you'll get 3 bows out of it That's the size of the one i made for Rich
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2