Author Topic: Painting sinew back??  (Read 4342 times)

Offline 1776J

Painting sinew back??
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:55 am »
Fellas,...
I did a few searches on painting bows but hadn't seen anything particularly dealing with painting sinew backed bows...
SPECIFICALLY the actual BACK of the bow??

Any paint better than another paint or technique when deciding to paint the dried sinew backing... instead of finishing with snake or fish skin??

Thanks fellas.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:46:14 am by 1776J »

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: Painting sinew back??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:46:49 am »
Natural earth pigments, with a mild hide glue binder. If the glue and paint are too thick it will crack and peel in time.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:39:04 am »
Natural earth pigments, with a mild hide glue binder. If the glue and paint are too thick it will crack and peel in time.

Well, my sinew had a little to much glue so that's got its hairlines all over, so its cosmetic and no big deal.
But I see how the paint and hide glue would get funky when applied if to thick. 

Makes sense.

About what consistency would you say you keep your mix of hide glue and pigment when you apply it?
Any other tricks to applying it?  Heating things up, keeping it cooler,..etc??

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:03:26 am by 1776J »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:31 am »
I would use as little liquid as possible,it will re hydrate the sinew,the only problem with more glue to me isn't the looks it is, it will crack and pop when you draw it.The first ones I done I used to much glue and I didn't even want to hunt with it because of the noise,no problem with breaking just the noise.I have done some with black markers,I usually black the back before skins,that makes them stand out and not yellow as bad over time. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:07 am »
Jason, you can coat the sinew/hide glue with Tite-bond 3 glue and use outdoor latex acrylic craft paint over that...........Art

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:50 pm »
I was going to suggest what Art did. Put a thin coat of TBIII over the sinew and then paint it with acrylic craft paint from Walmart.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:59 pm »
Not sure if you know this J, but earth pigments in a hide glue binder is simply watercolor paint.  Any traditional paint will work well:  watercolor, milk paint, artist oil paint, and the various natural dyes and stains.

There are MANY modern finishes available that are waterproof, flexible, UV resistant, and durable.

Personally, I usually use shellac as a pigment binder and finish.  I also use watercolors, tung oil, and beeswax.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline 1776J

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »
Great options fellas!  Thanks all for jumpin in here with ideas you guys have seen work!!!  :)

Offline 1776J

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »
Any traditional paint will work well:  watercolor, milk paint, artist oil paint, and the various natural dyes and stains.

Jason, you can coat the sinew/hide glue with Tite-bond 3 glue and use outdoor latex acrylic craft paint over that...........Art

Let's say I used milk paint and sealed/covered it with Spar Urethane?
Think that would be a viable lasting combination?  I wouldn't see why not?

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:14 am »
you have got some good advise so far. if your sinew is rough or has a lot of valleys in it, you can mix titebond with sanding dust and spread on the back, when it is dried you can sand it and make a smooth surface to apply your paint design. once everything is dried you can apply your finish to protect it.