Author Topic: will backwards yew work?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
will backwards yew work?
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:24 am »
 Got a stave of yew with recurves already steamed in but the blank is backwards. I have read about backward bows but never tried one. The stave is I think about 46". I want to make it a California style paddle bow with a healthy sinew backing. My question is what are the capabilities  of this backwards sinew backed bow? I have made many California flatbows and for a 46" bow I usualy draw it 24-25". Can this be done with a backward bow, or should the draw be less? Anybody????

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: will backwards yew work?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:22 am »
Never tried yew but built a backwards Osage and it worked out fine. I know yew is strong in compression and most folks leave some sap wood on the back,you wouldn't have that option but you plan on sinew anyway, I would go for it,but thats me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:19 am »
Yew sapwood doesn't like the compression it would experience on the belly of a bow. But if your blank is heartwood only, there's no harm in making a 'backward bow'. The sinew will be an excellent backing.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
why did they steam them backwards??  like suggested, just remove the sapwood and back the other side with your sinew. this may give you a rounded belly depending on the size of the stave.