Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 10175 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Tree ID
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 11:29:13 am »
  The first one the only  try colored bark tree around here (WV) that looks like that is sycamore. The second is white oak third is red oak. Not sure about the 4 th but looks like black oak but the last looks a little big for around here but looks like flowering woodwood tree.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 12:48:13 pm »
You nailed it again, Justin. The first 2 are sourwood and like I said both pics are from the same tree, one from the north(down hill) side the other from the south(up hill side) but both at the same level. This shows how much variation there is in tree bark even on the same tree and at the same level.   The other is a flowering dogwood. This is an older tree but not the biggest around.

As the winner Justin recieves my admiration and respect!  ;D

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:41 pm »
You nailed it again, Justin. The first 2 are sourwood and like I said both pics are from the same tree, one from the north(down hill) side the other from the south(up hill side) but both at the same level. This shows how much variation there is in tree bark even on the same tree and at the same level.   The other is a flowering dogwood. This is an older tree but not the biggest around.

As the winner Justin recieves my admiration and respect!  ;D

That's better than a stick any day ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:52 pm »
Well I think I know who I will be PMing for tree IDs lol ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 01:48:30 pm »
Well done Justin...the sourwood confused me, the deep furrows made me think of a winged elm or possibly a sugar gum, but not a sourwood. I remember the sourwood as having darker bark and a little charred or burned look. This is fun,Thanks Pat
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 01:59:33 pm »
I've always loved trees. Years ago a friend and I would take woods walks and started a little contest to see who could ID different trees. After both of us got good at IDing most of the trees in the area(this was coastal SC) we changed the rules so you could only look at the bottom 4' of the tree. That put a wrinkle in how well we could ID trees but it tought both of us some good, useful info.
  Twig and buds are probably the best ID next to flowers. The structure of a tree is also a very good ID method as are leaves. Once you learn a few of these methods and utilize them tree ID becomes a lot easier. If you are a selfbow builder, knowing trees and their characteristics will serve you well in your bow building.
  A good tree ID book like the Audubon Field Guides(and others) are a great resource and are made to carry with you in the field.
 I'm not a taxonomist or a dendrologist but I love trees so IDing them is fun for me. Like riding a bike, once you learn it is isn't hard to remember most of the info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »
I've always loved trees. Years ago a friend and I would take woods walks and started a little contest to see who could ID different trees. After both of us got good at IDing most of the trees in the area(this was coastal SC) we changed the rules so you could only look at the bottom 4' of the tree. That put a wrinkle in how well we could ID trees but it tought both of us some good, useful info.
  Twig and buds are probably the best ID next to flowers. The structure of a tree is also a very good ID method as are leaves. Once you learn a few of these methods and utilize them tree ID becomes a lot easier. If you are a selfbow builder, knowing trees and their characteristics will serve you well in your bow building.
  A good tree ID book like the Audubon Field Guides(and others) are a great resource and are made to carry with you in the field.
 I'm not a taxonomist or a dendrologist but I love trees so IDing them is fun for me. Like riding a bike, once you learn it is isn't hard to remember most of the info.

Yep, leaves are only on 6mo out of the year, only leaves bark and twigs to ID by after that. Structure is a good one too, but woods grown and open grown are totally different. Shade tolerance and moisture tolerance are two subtle clues to help determine.

Once you learn all the different tree species, you can catalog different characteristics....deeply furrowed bark...hmmm sourwood, black locust, large honey locust, large walnut, chestnut oak....then you can narrow it down again with other characteristics.

First thing I look at when I can is venation. If it's alternate then it could be a variety of things....if it's opposite it's a MAD Cap Horse....Maple Ash Dogwood...Caprifoliaceae (viburnums)...horsechestnut (buck eye)