Author Topic: Sausage acquisition  (Read 4086 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Re: Sausage acquisition
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »
Haha nice pic   ;D.  So what seasoning do you use for your pan,breakfast,And link sausage I now have some meat from 3 hogs and a deer and I like to see what others use I'm still new to making sausage
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »
I took the easy way out and used LEM seasoning packets.  My wife really likes it when I mix their mild and spicy seasoning packets.  The hard part is getting the spices mixed in well.    I let the spices sit overnight and then fried up some sausage this morning....too mild.  That means I didn't get the spices mixed well enough and other parts will be too spicy.  I need to buy one of those big stainless steel meat mixers.  This is the first hog I've ground up that had enough fat to make sausage that, when fried, actually left some grease in the pan.  She was a fatty.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »
Cool  well This is going to be my first sausage making on my own it will all be fresh sausage if I have enough I want to make polish, breakfast, and Italian the polish will be the only link the rest will be ground and bagged wish me luck I plan  to mix my seasonings I found a websit that teaches how to mix even it's really not that hard ttyl

Sterling

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »
Good luck, I hope that works out well for you.  I've gotten so I really prefer the sweet italian sausage.  I'm to the point that I only make breakfast and sweet italian sausage.   I shoot just enough hogs to keep us in sausage.  If I get more proficient or take up trapping I'll have to start giving them away.  The local food pantry will take them if I butcher them.  I donated 2 deer this year but no hogs yet.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »
Sweet that's a great idea donating food to a pantry I mite do that once my freezer is full

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 04:55:32 pm »
I was a little surprised the pantry would take meat I butchered.  They're anxious to get it.  Most of the time they have to buy hot dogs just so people in need have some meat protein.  I also funnel meat to them from some other hunters I know.  One lady has dropped off 2 huge pigs which I butchered and delivered to them.  This spring I've volunteered to build a longbow for their annual auction to raise money.  I hope it brings a good price for them.  Good people down there and tough times.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »
That is great :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 05:45:29 pm »
I was a little surprised the pantry would take meat I butchered.  They're anxious to get it.  Most of the time they have to buy hot dogs just so people in need have some meat protein.  I also funnel meat to them from some other hunters I know.  One lady has dropped off 2 huge pigs which I butchered and delivered to them.  This spring I've volunteered to build a longbow for their annual auction to raise money.  I hope it brings a good price for them.  Good people down there and tough times.

George

Here in South Dakota we have a state chapter of Sportsmen Against Hunger where people can donate deer and other game to help feed the hungry.  It has been an incredible success. 

Donating a bow to help raise funding isn't bad either, George.  I wish I was floating in money so I could outbid everyone to get that bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

HatchA

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58:30 pm »

Here in South Dakota we have a state chapter of Sportsmen Against Hunger where people can donate deer and other game to help feed the hungry.  It has been an incredible success. 

That's a great idea!!  When you say "state chapter..."  is it a national organisation, or just in some states?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 06:28:19 pm »
I've seen the same logo and name with different states attached, so I figure it's bigger than just our state.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.