Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 10181 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »
JustinNC nailed it. The first two are white oak. The hourglass shape of the trunk on the smaller one is typical with white oaks here. The third is a red oak, either Northern or Southern red oaks.
 I have more and I will post them tonight. All the pics I took were of the trunks/bark at about eye level. With some it is easy to ID but with others size makes a big difference as to what the bark looks like. Even from one side of the tree or the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »
Look a bit like Birch to me
I've never seen birch like any of those

I was commenting on the first set of pictures
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

JustinNC

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »
JustinNC nailed it. The first two are white oak. The hourglass shape of the trunk on the smaller one is typical with white oaks here. The third is a red oak, either Northern or Southern red oaks.
 I have more and I will post them tonight. All the pics I took were of the trunks/bark at about eye level. With some it is easy to ID but with others size makes a big difference as to what the bark looks like. Even from one side of the tree or the other.

White oak and red maple are two of the more fun trees to identify by bark......red maple being relatively easy being as it has opposite venation. White oak for the most part is pretty much the same, and 2nd pic is a good example, the first pic is a classic example now that I know what it is, of how some white oaks have a blocky bark up to about head high before turning ash colored and flaky.

Red maple, unless you live where  there are several species of maples, are perhaps the most diverse in their bark characteristics.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 07:32:35 pm »
Look a bit like Birch to me
I've never seen birch like any of those

I was commenting on the first set of pictures
that would make allot more sense ha-ha
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 11:33:34 pm »
Cool idea Pat, guess I got 3 out of 4...well done Justin. It might be neat to mark the trees in some fashion with numbers then go back and post the leaves or buds that match the trunks later on....sort of following the tree as the seasons progress. Perhaps even another thread for tree and plant identification everyone could post to. I would like to see more photos of the elms and hop hornbeam trees as the bud,flower and leaf out.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 11:40:59 pm »
I remember twig and bud ID. I can't remember them ALL but I do remember taking an exam on about 80 twigs and buds and nothing more to I D them by...tough but fun. I loved dendrology.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 12:12:44 am »
Cool idea Pat, guess I got 3 out of 4...well done Justin. It might be neat to mark the trees in some fashion with numbers then go back and post the leaves or buds that match the trunks later on....sort of following the tree as the seasons progress. Perhaps even another thread for tree and plant identification everyone could post to. I would like to see more photos of the elms and hop hornbeam trees as the bud,flower and leaf out.

I think some like that would be an excellent resource (at least for newbies like myself)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 01:18:02 am »
Here are a few more...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:02 am »
Well, then look like persimmons.The 3rd one looks a bit different, but it's alot older.

If they are, then they are alot lighter colored than ours.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 02:20:50 am »
Hint!  #1 and #2 are the same tree.  ;)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:24 am »
Elm and dogwood...?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Timo

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
never thought about dogwood? we have so few of them around my area,and never seen any that big,never give that a thought? Looks like the pics I've seen of it though.

JustinNC

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 11:08:39 am »
sourwood and dogwood

Offline okie64

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 11:09:31 am »
No idea on the top 2. Bottom one looks a little like persimmon.

JustinNC

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 11:16:48 am »
I'll take my prize now....I'm thinking a stave should be fine.  ;D