Author Topic: Tree ID  (Read 10183 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:24:45 am »
This was a test and an example of how vague some folks are when trying ti ID trees.  ;D  Dark Soul, you are exactly right. Not enough information. These three trees are 1) beech, 2) red maple, 3) Frasier magnolia.  Three different trees but unless you closely look at the characteristics of each most folks couldn't tell the difference.
  I walked around my woods yesterday and took about 40 pics of tree bark and the variations in the same species and the same tree in some cases.  The bark is only one indication of what tree we are identifying. And, as a tree matures the bark changes and in some cases dramatically.
  I am very fortunate that in my county there are many, many different varieties of trees. Many more than are in most areas.
Here are a few more if you still want to guess what they are...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 02:44:11 am »
that makes alot of sense, you strike me as the type of person who knows his trees, so i was a little confused, but those do look incredibly similar, the only reason i knew one was beech and one maple, was because near my house we have to much maple, and or property in Mass has to much beech, some very  large, one was 2+ thick, they do get big up there, there is also a white birch that must be pushing 4ft thick :o, which is right next to a pine even bigger
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Timo

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:27 am »
Tricky devil there Pat! >:D

Since we don't have any of those species here, I had a tough time.

Now for todays trees? First one looks like Elm, but also like a young white oak-   post oak-  red oak?

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 10:46:22 am »
Ok on the last three.  1st one is either water elm or hop hornbeam.  2nd is persimmon or a ash.  3rd may be black cherry.  Thats my guess.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

JustinNC

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:01:58 am »
1)??? 2) white oak 3)northern red oak....hmm not deeply furrowed, may be souther red or scarlet oak...............can we have some twig/bud photos PLEEEEASE.

Pat I took dendrology when I was at Haywood CC...we took labs all over Haywood, Jackson, and Transylvania counties...the southern appalachains are without a doubt the most diverse area in the country, and possibly the north american continent for flora. It's amazing to see a 3-4' DBH black/wild cherry up there and straight as an arrow, and down here theyre worthless as a timber product.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:51 am »
Last three:
Post oak, White oak and Red oak

Did not have a clue on the first three.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline okie64

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 11:15:05 am »
The top two pics are post oaks and the bottom pic I'm not sure. Maybe black cherry?

Offline okie64

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 11:22:04 am »
Bottom one might be northern red oak.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
Pat, great topic and a perfect example of some of the challenges in regards to identifying a tree by it's bark only....especially a tree at various sizes, ages of growth.  I have always been an outdoors "nut" and have prided myself in being able to identify almost any bird, animal, insect and track/sign.  However, one area I have always been lacking in (and never honestly had a huge urge or passion to improve upon) was my plant/tree identification.  Now, as I find myself getting pulled deeper and deeper into this world or making bows I have a VERY good reason and need to improve my knowledge in this area.

I have been actively walking/searching my property, my fathers and my uncles searching for any quality bow making wood...I was made even more aware and just how lacking I was at Tree ID while looking at leafless trees with a variety of bark examples in a single grove of trees which I happened to know what they were.  Looking for species which I do not know was/is almost out of the question at this point.

I did stumble on a pretty helpful site last night as I was searching for some reference or guide to be of some help in my search.

http://forestry.about.com/od/hardwoods/Individual_Hardwood_Species.htm

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/catsubject.cfm?cat=57

However, even on this site as you look over the various pictures and examples of a particular species you can see a large variance in the shape, look and appearance of the bark on a specific tree species.

Anyway, thanks for your thought provoking thread...very timely for me.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 12:39:29 pm »
i say oak, ash cherry

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 02:23:18 pm »
I would like to see the entire tree, but given what's there I'll stick my neck out some...first pic is a rock maple, 2nd is a sugar maple and last two are oaks..a white and a red.....just guessing

You gonna tell us for sure Pat?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 02:33:42 pm »
Hmmm... not juniper or osage.  Doesn't matter. Firewood.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »
Hmmm... not juniper or osage.  Doesn't matter. Firewood.  ;D

Thanks a pretty good answer  ;D and since  can't seem to find a local source for Osage it's even more simple for me since Juniper (or ERC here) is a fairly simple tree to ID.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »
Look a bit like Birch to me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »
Look a bit like Birch to me
I've never seen birch like any of those