Author Topic: chased my first ring..  (Read 2380 times)

Offline aero86

chased my first ring..
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »
yesterday, i noticed some guys cutting up a tree a few lots behind my house.  i could see the big log, and the heart wood was orange so i knew they cut down the big osage tree that was there.  so i take my boys over with me and ask if they are just gonna throw it out, they said yes, so i inquired if i could look through for some pieces, and i told them what i do.  they said sure!  unfortunately there wasnt many pieces long enough.   but i found a section that i thought might work for what i want to do.  its a highly reflexed piece, but i have plans for it.  but i ended up with a pretty straight grained piece of wood 42 inches long.   definitely gonna be an experiment, as im going to cut it in half, add a handle and then glue on some ends..  also gonna be sinew backed

i at first decided to just decrown it, but later i looked at it, and decided to just follow a growth ring on it.  wasnt as bad as i thought.  hardest part is getting started.  glad i did it now, as it was good experience.  also, there was about 14 late wood rings per inch, so they were pretty tight! 

just one question, should i have waited to get down to one ring?  im going to try the quick dry method with it, taking it down to close to final thickness and let it sit in the car when its sunny.  if it cracks, it cracks, was good experience, especially for free!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: chased my first ring..
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:31:48 pm »
Seal the back and ends or it WILL    check!  ;)      Any wood over 34" to 36" can be made into billets and spliced to make a stave. Crooked osage can be straightened!
  Glad you got something out of that tree. Good luck with your bow.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:35:15 pm »
whats best to seal it with?  i might have something around here.  can i use wood glue? titebond?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »
Thin the TB a little with warm water and brush it on. That will work fine. You don't have to use it full strength but you can.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »
hey aero
Isn't it funny how we (the people on this forum) see a cut down tree not as wood, but as tools and weapons.
I've some 4-6" wide branches on a tree in my back yard that i am going to have to trim back. One of them has a natural r/d. Dang those honey-dos ;D  ::) ;D.

Ron

God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:08:15 pm »
i do that all the time!  course i dont make that many bows, but, i make a mental note of people that have bamboo growing in their yard and one day, ill work up the nerve to knock on their door!  lol

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:23:02 am »
Great find!  I can't remember if you have a band saw, but if you don't you're welcome to use mine.  I have a template I use to lay out splices.  Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:27:35 am »
im a bit worried about what im planning..  not gonna have much working limb length, probably wont have the draw id like, but ill press on for the experience. 

i dont have one george, i really really need one though.  ive got one that runs, just needs a blade

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:51:25 am »
I just split out a half dozen billets yesterday.  If you need one you're welcome to come over and pick one out to go with your piece.  Just let me know. 

George
St Paul, TX