Author Topic: board bows  (Read 2655 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
board bows
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:08:17 pm »
i was just wondering, how do you make a board bow, do you just back it, do you follow a ring etc. I've only used staves so i have no clue, and besides oak, what other types of boards are usually found a home depot or another store like that and how much,
i know i am asking allot in this, but just answer anything you can, any help is appreciated.
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline bryan irwin

Re: board bows
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:15:28 pm »
red oak makes a good bow if you have a woodcraft store close by they sell all kinds of hard woods iv'e made 3 bows from red oak and didn't back them you have to watch grain run out you need to look and find the best board.
bryan irwin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:18:52 pm »
Check out George Tsoukalas' site. It has everything you need to know about building board bows, from selecting the proper board to the finish work. His site is chocked full of useful info and is an excellent resource!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:18:59 pm »
Some boards I back, some boards I don't and some boards I chase a ring on to turn into staves.  I rarely glue on risers, I almost always add overlays.  I look for red oak and hard maple, the grain on oak is usually easier to read.  I also wander off into the garden section and grab large diameter bamboo if they sell them.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:29:04 pm »
thans everyone for replying, useing boards should add alot more supply for me to work with ;D
noel

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »
I've made 2 out of boards, 1 was a maple and the other White Ash, both unbacked...I might have a piece of that White Ash and maybe some of the Maple, let me know if you need a piece !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »
I've made 2 out of boards, 1 was a maple and the other White Ash, both unbacked...I might have a piece of that White Ash and maybe some of the Maple, let me know if you need a piece !
how much does it cost to buy them from a store?

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 09:16:35 pm »
Not to sure...mine didn't cost me anything  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
fish - I bought a 2 inch by 10 inch by ~ 9 foot piece of maple from Windsor Plywood (not sure if they're in the U.S.?) for just over $100.  Sounds like a lot, but I was able to rip it up on the table saw and got enough wood for 7 bows plus some Grade A backing strips from the perfectly quartersawn middle of the board.

Maple is all I've used so far, but it's a damn fine bow wood.  Take your time choosing a good board.  Don't be afraid to go through the whole pile wherever you buy it.  You want the piece with the straightest grain possible, with little lateral runout.  If you've got nice quater-sawn wood with no grain runout, there's really no need to back it.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:04:17 am »
Fish, try and find a hardwood supplier, they sell to cabinet shop's and the like,then you'll have access to all sort's of high quallity wood at a good price,at least a better price than home depot, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline eagleone

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:48 am »
along with georges website - check poor bow folks website too.  A peice of red oak from the local big box store runs a whopping 5 bucks or so.  oak-hard maple-ash and especially hickory all make good bows.  Get the traditional bowyers bibles, they are worth every cent- between those books and this site you will catch on quick!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:31:50 am »
along with georges website - check poor bow folks website too.  A peice of red oak from the local big box store runs a whopping 5 bucks or so.  oak-hard maple-ash and especially hickory all make good bows.  Get the traditional bowyers bibles, they are worth every cent- between those books and this site you will catch on quick!
ok, ill think ill look for some this week, but your telling me its one osage bow from astave or.......... :o thats allot of bows
thanks everyone
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:54 am »
if i wee to use boards to try to build a 100+lb bow in an elb style, and i was layering the wood, if i had oak, maple and maybe ash or hickory, which way would i layer it
thanks
noel