Author Topic: black gum  (Read 2416 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
black gum
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:24:20 pm »
i have a surplus of black gum near my house and i was wondering of this would be suitable for making a bow out of, and if so, what type
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: black gum
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:33:56 pm »
Black gum will probably make a pretty good bow. I have never used it. One problem with it is it's very difficult to split. Interlocking fibers go everywhere inside that wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:41:46 pm »
Black gum will probably make a pretty good bow. I have never used it. One problem with it is it's very difficult to split. Interlocking fibers go everywhere inside that wood.
ill definatly try it then, if it wont split, the more firewood for next year, the pile is getting small ;D, i wouls sa in some areas near my house it is 1/4-1/3 of the trees, some over a foot wide

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:09 am »
i just wanted you to know, i just remembeed i had tried makeing a monser bow, literally 9ft tall, out of a sapling, i just cut it to 80 inches and even though it has set from when i worked it and accidently left it strung for a week when it was green( i was just starting) it looks like it be be easily in the 120+ range :o! it is only sapwood, and the rings are hard to distinguish, so just remove the bark and shape to your liking, when it dried it developed  cracks in the belly so before bed im going to glue and clamp
if i were you i would try it if you can, it seems to have the potential of being a very good wood ;D