Author Topic: Filling the Grain?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Arrowind

Filling the Grain?
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:32:40 am »
I'm working on a Hickory Board Bow for my brother.  I sanded it smooth and decided to use leather dye to ad some color.  I've put a few coats on now and the challenge I'm having is that I can still see light colored wood in the deep parts of the grain.  I don't want to add more coats of dye because it will get much darker than I am intending.

I've decided to finish this one out as is but for the future I was wondering...

Does anyone ever use any type of wood filler to fill the grain?  The above mentioned bow is made from kiln dried lumber.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
I've only just started using Hickory...after sanding and sanding the grain seems to be open a lot like Oak.  I love hickory by the way. 
I just don't have much experience with it.

Any insights?  Is it really strange to think about using wood filler on a bow to fill in grain prior to putting a finish on it?
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

Re: Filling the Grain?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:58:27 am »
Ah. Interesting.  I'll give it a try.  This is the first time I've used leather dye on wood. So far I really like it.  I need to learn the technique as you can see.
I really don't want to use any wood filler either. Thanks for your help.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?