Author Topic: First osage in progress...Reduced weight  (Read 15632 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First osage in progress
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 10:47:25 am »
Looks great all dolled up. Love the handle. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DEllis

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 05:25:01 pm »
Thanks guys.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

HatchA

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »
Damn that's beautiful...

78# out of such a slight piece of wood!  Unbelievable.

Well done man.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »
I'm with Hatch, always amazes me how much weight you can get out of a piece of osage.  beautiful bow btw. love the leather handle and arrow pass.  nice full draw shot.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline DEllis

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »
Getting the weight was the easy part.......I can't see how guys make 40#ers out of osage wider than this.........must scrape them about 7thousandths thick ;D
Thanks,
Darcy
Darcy Ellis

HatchA

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »
Maybe it has to do with the ring thickness..?  I see at your tips you're at 3 thick growth rings. 

Either way...  impressive bow!!

Offline John K

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »
Very nice, i like everything about it !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline DEllis

Re: First osage in progress....Reduced weight
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 06:55:22 pm »
Thanks guys,
I tried to get built up to this weight but it was starting to mess with my form :-\.......so out with the rasp and scraper ;D. Took it down to 73# at 26" without changing the tiller any.........much easier for me to handle now. Strange that a mere 5# could make such a huge difference. I was really struggling with 78# but 73# is quite easy ??? I had to redo the markings as they were mostly removed in the reduction of the belly. I like the arrow through the name better now too. Here's a pic of the belly with the new text........I didn't bother with a full draw as it looks exactly the same as before.
Mass is now just a hair over 22oz
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:59:53 pm by DEllis »
Darcy Ellis

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: First osage in progress...Reduced weight
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
how did you mark it, it looks burnt in, and by the way, that bow is beautiful and it nice to see higher draw weights, i personally think that is around the perfect weight for everyday use, not overly excessive, but still allot of power behind it, and with that 5lbs, it might be more of a mental thing, making yourself think its easier
enjoy that bow, you did a great job
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline eagleone

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »
nice looking bow! man - you work quick!

Offline DEllis

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Noel, Thanks for the comments. The text is wood burned in. I can assure you that my back muscles are positive it is not a mental thing ;D. Also, ideal draw weight has a lot of variables........I live where we have more moose than deer. It is nice to have a little more power when a 1300# animal is standing at 15 yards.........if I lived where my biggist game was a 200# whitetail things might be different. Also draw weight is only a piece of the power puzzle.........tiller and design as well as arrow weight and many other factors come into play. Limb tip weight may be one of the biggest factors in a normal length bow.........light, stiff tips add speed and reduce shock greatly. ;)
Darcy Ellis

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:54 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Noel, Thanks for the comments. The text is wood burned in. I can assure you that my back muscles are positive it is not a mental thing ;D. Also, ideal draw weight has a lot of variables........I live where we have more moose than deer. It is nice to have a little more power when a 1300# animal is standing at 15 yards.........if I lived where my biggist game was a 200# whitetail things might be different. Also draw weight is only a piece of the power puzzle.........tiller and design as well as arrow weight and many other factors come into play. Limb tip weight may be one of the biggest factors in a normal length bow.........light, stiff tips add speed and reduce shock greatly. ;)
i guess i was wrong about it being mental, everyone is different, personally though, against a moose, i would rather have a tank, but that bow would work i think ;D and trust me i know about heavy bows needing to be effective, i have a 140lb bow that is just for strength training, that shoots only a little farther than my 50#, although if i may say, i did a pretty good job with that one ;D
enjoy that great bow
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what