Author Topic: epoxy for splices..  (Read 2586 times)

Offline aero86

epoxy for splices..
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:35:33 am »
i know its not very primitive, but whats a good epoxy to join splices?   im working on something, that i want to be sure that my splice wont fail as its my first v-splice.  ive got tbIII but figured an epoxy would be stronger..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: epoxy for splices..
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:01:59 am »
I use Urac 185 by Nelson paint, not sure if its an apoxy but hasnt failed me yet and I have used it on some test pieces and the wood broke befor the splice had a chance to

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:53:42 am »
Urac is good stuff. I've spliced three bows with it and no problems.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:42:41 am »
I did one with the Loctite epoxy you can get at any superstore, but make sure that you get the 24 hour, professional one.  That stuff is probably as strong or stronger than the wood itself.  Good luck.
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:53:18 am »
All I use is Urac 185 I bought directly on line from the Nelson Paint Co, bomb proof stuff, nothing better. Don't buy over a pint at a time because it has a shelf life of about a year at room temperature and 3 years in the frig.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:32:16 pm »
+1 on the Urac. It is better than the titebond for gluing splices in my opinion because it has gap filling properties where titebond does not.  If it is your first splice you will have some gaps or at least I did LOL.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »
I use Smooth-on epoxy left over from making laminated glass bows.  X2 on getting slow dry epoxy, the slower the better.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 04:35:59 pm »
Resorcinol. That's all I have used. But Urac is probably easier to find from suppliers.