Author Topic: To the boneyard...  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Barrage

To the boneyard...
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »
Marc's post reminded me of this bow that blew up on me in Dec. 

It was a sinew backed bow that had been set on the shelf a few different times.  I had laminated some ipe onto the belly.  Actually, this was the second time I had laminated an ipe strip on; the first I sanded completely off because I had a little concern over the glue up.  The second glue up looked perfect.  Stringing the bow was a workout and a half.  I was just finishing up unwrapping myself from stringing the bow when I heard a tic.  I held the bow out in front of me back down to check the brace tiller; BOOM.  Bow blew up.  It lasted less than 4 seconds after being braced.  The one tip snapped right off, shearing the sinew clean through, and bounced off a couple walls.  The ipe didn't completely delaminate; I pulled the rest off after.  Final verdict was bad glue.  Glue lines were perfect and the mating was good, but looking at the pieces after you could see there was hardly any good bonding.  When I pulled the rest of the ipe laminate off, it peeled off like masking tape.

I would have like to have been able to shoot this bow.  The string tension was great, at least for 3 seconds, so it could have been a pretty good performer.  But in the end, I'm just glad I still wasn't step through stringing it when it let go... :o  ;)
Travis

Offline madmax46

Re: To the boneyard...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »
What a bummer!    Very disappointing. 
"Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching, and love like you've never been hurt."    ...Mark Twain

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:44:24 pm »
Bummer Dude I bet that had a high pucker factor. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline 1776J

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:42:53 am »
....and it was SINEW BACKED??!!

was it a separation of layers that doomed it? Wow,... :o

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:02:30 am »
"....and it was SINEW BACKED??!!

was it a separation of layers that doomed it? Wow,.."

Did the sinew come apart in a spot where the ends of the bundles of sinew touched? Ripped right threw the sinew? Man. The sucks so bad. It looked to be a magnificant bow. I am sorry.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:13:43 am »
Must have been a lot of work in that bow  :'(.
Do you think it was the oily nature of the Ipe that stopped it sticking properly?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »
Yeah, a bit of a pucker factor lol...

It wasn't a separation of sinew / wood or sinew overlap problem.  I actually had soaked that tip in water after it broke and that's why the sinew isn't attached in the picture.  Right after the break the sinew was still all bonded to the wood.  And it had 3 layers of sinew which had alternating overlaps of sinew.  It was just so violent it sheared it right off.  Almost looked like I took it to the band saw.

Del, I'm 99% sure it was bad glue (getting to the end of the bottle).  I had another project going simultaneously which was maple / maple, and it did the exact same thing as far as the glue bond. 
Travis