Author Topic: carry gun for little woman?  (Read 7473 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: carry gun for little woman?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »
dane: thanks man. all good points. the legal side of things shouldnt be a problem for her. she is a collage student majoring in criminal justice, and is in her third year here. shes going to go for her masters. she has kept up i belive a 3.7 through collage. very smart girl, very cautious and calculatging, the kind of persom that dont do anything without knowing what the result will be ten years from now. i believe she can handle the legle side of it, and i believe that she would never draw a weapon unless she intended to kill. i trust that she can handle it.

now, that said, im not a handgun guy, so i dont have a lot of them for her to practice with. once we decide what to get for her there will be a rediculous amount of ammo sent through it, and hours of time learing every aspect of it before i let her have it. she's a good girl and she listens to me, and smart as a whip. i am possitive that she understands the responsibilitys involved with carrying, and i know she will do as she's supposed to.

now, back to the original question. what gun? revolvers: this is what i would prefer her have as well, but she is so little, she can shoot them, and likes them. a 38 snubby is no problem for her. i just dont realy know how she could conceal one on her. but i dont know what kinda holsters they make for ladys to carry in, ect. i love revolvers myself, and would prefer her have one. it will never jam, never misfire, and like yall said, no safty to wory with, just a trust worthy gun. pluss the slide wont cut her thumb off if she grips it wrong. :o and a double action trigger pull is to much for her. she litterally can barely get it to go off, and when she does, forget hitting anything with it. but i think it would be better to take the time to thumb cock the gun than to have to teach her to use a simi. hmmm. old 38 maby?
lets just shoot it

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 10:17:11 pm »
My wife is about the same size, she likes to carry her 38 special snub nose. 

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 10:20:48 pm »
A gun my wife bought not long ago is a 22 mag revolver.  The darenger looking thing.  When she carries it, she keeps rat shot in the first chamber.  That way if she is in danger, she is ready to blind the perp with the rat shot to the face, then she has 4 bullets to finish the job if needed.  With that said, she still likes to carry the 38 special i mentioned, the best.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 12:04:19 am »
If my Wife can handle the Ruger GP 100...so can your Girl.....and you will never find a more Accurate....and definitely never find a stronger...well made Pistol as the GP 100...they are almost indestructible
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »
If your looking for something cheap google "hi point fire arms" They are made in Ohio and you can get a brand new .380 for $140.00
The down side is they are kind of clunky and heavy. The up side is thier under 200 bucks and they actualy shoot really well. One of my co-workers has one in 9mm and he loves it. Shoots as good as or better than a lot of more expensive guns.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 04:07:47 pm »
22 mag revolver.  The darenger looking thing. 

i know that gun. we actually thought about getting that one, but im a little leery of the 22 mag. but, you can kill a man with a good pelet rifle, so i guess a 22 mag would work.
lets just shoot it

Offline johnston

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 07:26:34 pm »
Lots of good advice has already been given but I'm gonna chime in on a couple of things.

I have shot in over a hundred IDPA matches and the only semii's I never saw fail were the Glocks. Never saw a revolver that did fail. No opinion here just an observation.

The best rule is to carry as much gun as you handle well. If that is a .22 rimfire then so be it. A handgun is always a trade-off anyway.

Once you have a weapon selected a method of carry can be found.  The trick here is to determine that the gun is needed as an item of personal attire. Sometimes it is a chore carrying a gun but not as bad as waking up dead.

As to expense, I really understand limited  funds. But the average person spends more on a TV than on a weapon that could save their life. You don't have to go whole hog but this ain't something you want to be cheap on either.

Whatever she winds up with your plan of a bunch of practice is dead on.( Buying the gun is the easy part). And remember to teach her safe gun handling methods as well.You got a big job, good luck!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »
My wife carries one of these:  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 09:30:07 pm »
In Her Clutch Purse....huh Steve.......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:46 am »
In Her Clutch Purse....huh Steve.......... >:D

U mean carry her clutch purse on that lol