Author Topic: Bows of the Royal Ontario Museum  (Read 3043 times)

Offline cuthalion

Bows of the Royal Ontario Museum
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:15 am »
Hey Everyone!

I am a university of toronto student (originally from manitoulin island). I just went to the Royal Ontario Museum recently, and discovered they have quite a selection of bows and arrows from around the world, including some really interesting inuit bows, and beautiful turkish bows. They also have bows from the South Pacific and Africa. If you are ever in Toronto I highly recommend going to check out these bows as it is quite interesting to see the the different styles of bows from each region of the world in one place. I do believe they even have a bow from ancient egypt. Defineatly worth checking out!

Offline shikari

Re: Bows of the Royal Ontario Museum
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:48 am »
I should be in Toronto by the 24-25 of this month,! more thing to look up once i am back.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22:40 am »
Cuthalion, is there any chance you can get pics to post here on PA.  Maybe you could even write an article for PA Magazine about the Museum and it's archery collection.  Billy Berger wrote a series of 5 articles for PA Magazine last year about the Native American archery collection in the Smithsonian Institute. Billy visited the Smithsonian and got to go behind the scenes and had access to some incredible bows and arrows from across the US.
 Do you know if there is a website for the Royal Onterio Museum archery collection?
  Thanks for sharing this info with us.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »
I've been there. I think that is where I saw a white oak bow...a  little over an inch wide and really looked remarkable. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:57 pm »
I'd love to see some pics, its a little too far for me to go for a visit
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline shikari

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »
You could get picks of the wallace collection from england david.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:45:25 pm »
Need Pics!
Went to web site (rom.on will get you there with a search) I tried searching archery and bows, didn't come up with much.
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline cuthalion

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:58 pm »
Hey Pat!

I would absolutely love to write an article on these bows! I will contact the ROM as soon as possible and see if I can get the inside scoop on some of these bows. It may take me a little while because I am quite busy in school but I will see what I can do. Then I will also be able to post pictures of them. (Most of the bows are enclosed in glass displays so pictures are hard as the flash reflects off of the glass so it would require someone to take the bows out :P)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »
Contact Billy Berger(Billy). He can help you with the logistic problems and getting your foot in the door.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC