Author Topic: Lost a bunch of osage  (Read 3333 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Lost a bunch of osage
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »
 >:(   >:(   >:(  I learned a painful lesson today.  Summer of '08,  I found a big osage tree that had fell over and into a dry creek bed.  I cut it up and hauled out 3 nice logs ranging from 12"-10" across.  It was in the 90's that day and it almost killed me getting them out of that creek.  I sealed the ends,  split them in halves, and stored them in the garage.  I split a couple of pieces into staves and debarked them right away.  They turned out fine.  The other day, I pulled out one of the remaining half logs and split it into 3 primo staves, two of them could have been split again.  Today I started removing the bark and sapwood from them.  I noticed that the bark pealed up really easy in big chunks.  It was like the bark had separated from the sapwood.  I started to remove the sapwood and the staves are full of drying checks all down the backs.  I have carried 4 staves to the burn pile today.  I only managed to save one little stave.  I still have two half logs that I haven't touched.  I don't even know if I should bother with splitting them.  Maybe I should have bon fire and start from new. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DEllis

Re: Lost a bunch of osage
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:08:33 pm »
OUCH :'(
Sorry to hear that.......hopefully some of it is still OK.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:06 pm »
Sorry to hear that, I dont know about Osage but with Vine Maple I have had a couple staves develope drying checks very small ones but all over the length of the back, it didnt effect the way the bows made from them shot in any way. The only thing I had to make sure my finish (spar urethane) penatrated into all of the checking cracks so water was unable to penatrate the wood. I was working with John Strunk yesterday and showed him and he also said they were fine and wouldnt hurt anything. Here is a pic of what im talking about
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »
Are you sure the cracks go deep enough to render the stave not usable?  Even in my very old weathered fenceposts, the deep fissures only go down about 4 growth rings into the heartwood.  Below that it is good wood.  I've made both unbacked and sinew backed osage with longitudinal cracks and the bows were fine as long as the cracks didn't go clear through or run out the sides.  It is very odd that it cracked like that unless it was exposed to the elements for quite awhile after falling.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 1776J

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:33 pm »
Good Lord man!!!!!  :o

I hope somehow something is salvageable?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:08:27 am »
gstoneberg, I'm sure you could wrangle a few bows out of them, but I don't think I can.  The cracks go pretty deep.  It looks like some of them go all the way to the bottom of the stave.  I think when the bark loosened, it let the moisture escape under and caused them to split.  I coated the one good stave with about 4 coats of shellac.  From now on, I am going to remove the bark and sapwood and seal them right away.  Hauling osage logs out of the woods by hand is too much work to end up throwing them away.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:35:01 am »
if the cracks go length wise
chase a ring,cut your profile
heat up some gel super glue and ooze it in there
make a bow  ;)
youd be suprised at what osage with a few cracks can do
its worth trying it,after all you went thru all that work of collecting them
a draw knife is quick,even on dry osage bark
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:27 am »
I agree.  Cracks that run the length of the bow back are just character.  Cracks on the belly are trouble, have to wrap the limb if you get them there.  Cracks or insect damage that go across the back (or belly) side to side must be removed by going down heartwood rings until they're gone.  I've gone in as many as 10 heartwood rings before.  I did ruin one bow by taking too much off the belly before I got to some borer damage on the back and by the time I'd gotten it out I didn't have enough limb left to make a bow.  It is a rare piece of osage that won't make a bow if you really want to.  I've passed on a few pieces though for sure.  I really hope you can use most of it.  Like everyone says, it's way too heavy to haul home, split the long way, and then burn.  I usually procrastinate getting the bark off mine too.  Hello borers...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:39 pm »
I have some osage that dried and was stored in the rafters for 15 yrs has the checks running the full length. Some of the checks are deep, on one bow I thought he stave might just split right in half. I ended up backing with sinew and turned out ok. I think they will make bows. I am no expert by any stretch having made 5 bows. But I would try it before burning after the labor already invested. Good luck

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »
can you make any billits and splice anything

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 04:36:30 pm »
It don't take much osage to make a hunting weight bow. That's why I very rarely throw any osage away. Even with checks all the way through I'd at least give them a try. In this case for sure let the wood tell you what it wants to be!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC