Author Topic: ipe board bow  (Read 3213 times)

Offline 1ahBprimitive

ipe board bow
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:45:03 am »
im wondering how the heck your suposed to get a handle to stik to the bow >:(   ???
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others

Offline HickoryBill

Re: ipe board bow
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 12:52:14 am »
With glue of course!!! ;D ;D   No you gotta go over it with a thinner type cleaner like, lacquer thinner finger nail polish remover etc.    To get the oils off of your gluing surface.Glue won't stick otherwise.I use titebond2/3 for the glue.i hope this helps.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:00:57 am »
I use acetone, clean it till the rag is clean then as sone as it dry's glue it up, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline 1ahBprimitive

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:03:55 am »
i used tb3 wraped it all up with wet leather then clamped it for three days after cleaning it with lye and grooving it still poped off >:( :'( also would jute string backing work for a 52" by 2" ipe paddle bow ??? 50# being the target wieght with a 23" draw ???
all animals are tasty
some animals are more tasty than others

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:09:28 am »
Also, for simple board bows and the like, I wrap the handle with some strong cord right in the middle of the handle before tillering. After it bends wheres it's supposed to bend after tillering there is less a chance of it coming off.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:10:14 am »
If you're bending through the handle it really won't matter what kind of glue you are using or how well you clean it.  Make sure there is an island of wood where you are gluing on the handle.
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:11:57 am »
TooMany,

That's actually a neat idea.  It would keep the middle stiff and during tillering you'd create that Island I was talking about and be alright.  Very cool!
Nate Danforth

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:22 am »
I use acetone, clean it till the rag is clean ...

I've NEVER seen the rag come clean on Ipè; last piece I had yellow stuff coming up became worse!

I personally put the board into the hotbox for an hour or so before cleaning/glueing.
Frank from Germany...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »
i dont do alot of glue ups
but i have found that when i use exotic woods for handles
its best to use 2 part epoxy instead of tite bond glues(maybe its just me  ;) )
and if you are useing tite bond glues you need a smooth surface,epoxy you will want a ruff surface for gluing
i also use acetone for cleaning and NEVER leave the exotic woods sit after cleaning
glue it up right away
if you leave it sit after cleaning your letting the oils come back up to the surface
just my 2 cents worth
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »
i also use acetone for cleaning and NEVER leave the exotic woods sit after cleaning
glue it up right away

Yes, the sooner the better; aceton will be gone from surface before you even put down the rag...
Frank from Germany...

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »
you have to let the acetone air for a couple minutes, dry to the touch isn't dry, and all I've used is TB2, hit the boards with 36 grit on the belt sander, only failuers have been caused by starved glue lines
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 04:26:11 pm »
I've never had a handle riser pop off of a bow unless the bow bends into the handle area. I've used every glue possible ans all worked well when set up properly and all glues failed when the handle area bends.   If you use multi layers of thin, graduated lengths of wood, say 1/8" thick or slightly more, the handle will flex some. If too much bending in the handle a riser made from leather, cork or other flexable materials is about all that will work.
  Will you post pics of your set up, 1ahB?  My money is on a bendy handle area.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC