Author Topic: Aquaponics  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Parnell

Aquaponics
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:52 pm »
This is an interesting idea.  My buddy has been experimenting with forms of this type of thing for some time, this combines fish in a system which utilizes their waste to fertilize a hydroponic gardening system.  Once started it's pretty well self contained and uses, I think about 1/10th of the water to produce what a normal garden does.  I've heard it has taken off in Australia, but that's hearsay.  A certain type of bacteria is used to scrub ammonia from the water system, and must be cultured first before the sytem can be set up.  It would take some work but we're starting to kick around the idea of creating a system in my backyard.  I'm thinking of going into food production - I've seen some incredible gardens in the South Florida environment.  Production can be year round.  Thought some of you may like to see this is you haven't yet.

If you've ever seen this type of system up and running, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

There is tons of info on the net.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/
1’—>1’

JustinNC

Re: Aquaponics
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:52 pm »
I've got the components to run a small aquaponics system when I was trying to grow a bazillion different types of chilies. Never did finish it though.

I hate to say it, but the pot growers forums are some of the best sources of information or ingenuity for any sort of hydroponics systems lol

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:17:10 pm »
I'm sure they are.  ;D
I'm interested in harvesting the fish though and also having the efficiency of the system.  Supposedly, the harvest times for produce are much shorter and there is 3x the yield for area.  I'm starting to research it much more these days.  I've heard of people actually making some profit off of "yard" systems with local markets (hotels, farm stands, restaurants, etc), which would be nice for extra income. 

I'd be happy to basically feed myself though.  Nothing like self sufficiency.

1’—>1’

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »
I'm sure they are.  ;D
I'm interested in harvesting the fish though and also having the efficiency of the system.  Supposedly, the harvest times for produce are much shorter and there is 3x the yield for area.  I'm starting to research it much more these days.  I've heard of people actually making some profit off of "yard" systems with local markets (hotels, farm stands, restaurants, etc), which would be nice for extra income. 

I'd be happy to basically feed myself though.  Nothing like self sufficiency.

I've heard....dont know that it is true, that they vegies are a little bland. I didnt follow through because of time constraints in dealing with that kind of system, or any hydro really. The root mass is really where you gain at. Gotta keep check on that pH too.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »
Back in the early 90's some people did some experimentation with rasing butter lettuce over some tilapia tanks.  The heads of the baby lettuce were floated in small styrofoam rings and they were growing exponentially for a week or so and then everything went south.  The tilapia stopped feeding on the pelleted food and the lettuce stunted and died.

Turns out the tilapia were eating the suspended roots off the lettuce!

I worked at an experimental indoor tilapia facility years ago up in North Dakota.  We were set up to raise about 2 million lbs of fish a year.  Another company was researching a way to use the waste water from our facility to raise hydroponic hothouse roses.  From the wastewater they figured they could plant 18,000 acres of roses!  Nothing ever came of it, though. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.