Author Topic: Should the no-politics rule not apply to moderators?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Dane

Should the no-politics rule not apply to moderators?
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »
This is pertaining to the NSSF thread Marc St. Louis started, and Mullet replied to asking how much damage can the Obama administration cause to hunting before 2012.

Does this mean that politics dont apply only in certain topics? Or within the larger context of outdoor legislation, politics are fair topics for membership in general?

Thanks for clarifying in advance.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Should the no-politics rule not apply to moderators?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:25 am »
i'll answer for ya dane. YES IT SHOULD.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:12:46 pm »
I was going to edit Mike's words and take out any reference to Obama doing damage to hunting but he didn't make any such comments.  I locked that thread because I wanted it to be informative only without any arguing.

I will take Eddie's post out if that makes you feel any better
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 03:53:53 pm »
Marc, it isnt a matter of my feeling better, or getting my feelings hurt. It is a matter of something that is clearly political being posted by one moderator, and then commented upon in a very sharply political way by another moderator. Why then should any other member be worried about the no politics nature of this discussion board? There are many, many places online you can get into poltics of all kinds. PA is supposed to be a sanctuary from all that.

Dane

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:48:56 pm »
Marc, it isnt a matter of my feeling better, or getting my feelings hurt. It is a matter of something that is clearly political being posted by one moderator, and then commented upon in a very sharply political way by another moderator. Why then should any other member be worried about the no politics nature of this discussion board? There are many, many places online you can get into poltics of all kinds. PA is supposed to be a sanctuary from all that.

Dane

And you think that my post is political in nature?

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:21:50 pm »
Sorry , Dane.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:26:50 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »
i read the original post shortly after it was posted
i found nothing political about it
it was informative and thats all
the orignal psot made no statements that were political  :-\
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:23:20 pm »

Dane

Of course it is. From the Action Alert:

"In September, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Forest Service's regulations required that it consider banning hunting with firearms on lands designated as "semi-primitive" within the Huron-Manistee National Forest."

"Please submit comments to the Forest Service urging it to adopt the "No-Action" position, which would allow hunting with firearms in areas designated as semi-primitive to continue."

"Visit NSSF's Government Relations site at nssf.org/GovRel."

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:23:50 pm »

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:34 pm »
Ok, I was trying to not comment due to the no-politics rule, but at this point I can't help it. What I know of this issue is this;
 The sixth circuit court ruled that the forest service needs to re-evaluate it's LAND USE rules, due to the fact that there are specific areas here in Michigan that are labeled semi-primitive and some lawyer felt that anything motorized and gun hunting does not fall into semi-primitive use of the land. According to the state of Michigan land-use rules have to be evaluated every 10-15 years. The last time that happened was in 2006, which is when all this started, which by the way was way before Obama was president. The forest service has stated they have no intention of banning gun hunting, but because of the court order, they have to decide if gun hunting and the use of motorized vehicles on this land should be allowed on land that is labeled semi-primitive, or if they should change the status of the land so it's not semi-primitive. Which would allow gun hunting, and motorized vehicles.
Not trying to feed the fire here, but there seems to be a little confusion about it. Well, like I said, that's what I know about it and I'm no expert or anything, but that's what's going on here in my home state.
Rockford, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »
 You live there and you probably have a better handle on it then most of us. I for one think the four wheeler has made hunting easy for people that never really hunted. You can't use them in most Mngt Areas in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:16:21 pm »

Dane

Of course it is. From the Action Alert:

"In September, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Forest Service's regulations required that it consider banning hunting with firearms on lands designated as "semi-primitive" within the Huron-Manistee National Forest."

"Please submit comments to the Forest Service urging it to adopt the "No-Action" position, which would allow hunting with firearms in areas designated as semi-primitive to continue."

"Visit NSSF's Government Relations site at nssf.org/GovRel."

Dane

I didn't ask you about the action alert, I asked you about my post.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 07:34:41 am »
Your post has the action alert embedded as a link. It is part of your post.

Dane

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 11:39:07 am »
People can use the link or not, it is as they please.  Mike asked me if I thought it was ok to post it on the board and I had no problems with it.  If you, or anyone else, do not care for such things then read the post and leave the link alone.

Mike (el destructo) has posted similar post here before and as long as there was no political bashing he was left alone.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »
I found nothing wrong with the post.  It was for educational and informative purposes.  It was not to discuss politics.  We need to protect our hunting rights and public hunting lands.  Most people build bows to hunt with so it is totally relevant to PA.  Actually hunting is what fuels most of the hobbies discussed on this site.
Aim Small...Hit Small