Author Topic: who can build 100+ bows  (Read 3030 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
who can build 100+ bows
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:44 am »
i think the name of the topic is self explanatory, i am just curious about who can as i am interested in doing more in that strength range
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline 1776J

Re: who can build 100+ bows
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:30:36 am »
If you hit the warbow area of the forum you'll see a lot of info on fellows building them in that range as English War bows were historically of very heavy draw weight!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:16:03 am »
   I've built 3 a 97,102 and 103# all osage. The were not war bows all hunting bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:31 pm »
   I've built 3 a 97,102 and 103# all osage. The were not war bows all hunting bows.

Those are some hunting bows! Maybe I have a twisted sense of humor, but when I read your sig "DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE" and thought of those hunting bows it made me laugh! ;D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »
I did a hickory backed ipe ELB that was up around 90#.  That combination would work.  The bow was 70" - basically, my height.
1’—>1’

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 12:24:21 pm »
I made a 90# @ 26" hackberry flatbow-ish holmgarrd- ish bow before. 70" long, sure it would of hit 100# before 30" draw. Never could draw it farther to find out though! :) Had cut threw the back self nocks. Hackberry is a beast in that regard. Ill never make a bow that heavy again (on purpose) thats not at around 80" long. Length on warbow weight bows definitely makes alot of sense in alot of ways. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:15:19 pm »
I'm sure I can  ;D
 just haven't got that far yet  ;)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:11 pm »
what profiles did they have, the one i made is 73-74 ish no hnndel, and is 1 thick and 2 wide at center. unfortunatly i need to reinforce tips with that eveil substance fiberglass, i hate evn mentioning it, but both tipos are splitting and i need to reingforment on the whole tip

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »
A 100# bow is not that difficult to make.  A 150# bow is a bit more difficult
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »
     Matt these were bows built for someone. Some people shoot heavy bows for the flatness for the clear release or just what there comfortable with. I never got caught up in the speed thing even though I shot bows in the high 60's when I WAS YOUNGER then I STAYED A 60 FOR 14 15 YEARS. I was like most bow hunters I was young and dumb once. I now shoot 56#s not because I can shoot 65#'s I'm only 49 but I  think I've got a little smarter I THINK. Your arrow speed don't mean much it you can't hit your target dose it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:12 pm »
Noel,

Why are the tips splitting? This really shouldn't be happening and it probably isn't just because of the bow weight.

I have found that a heavy bow is no more difficult to make than a lighter one. It is just dimensionally bigger and harder work to pull during tillering.

A very highly stressed, unstable heavy bow would be a different issue I guess!

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »
     Matt these were bows built for someone. Some people shoot heavy bows for the flatness for the clear release or just what there comfortable with. I never got caught up in the speed thing even though I shot bows in the high 60's when I WAS YOUNGER then I STAYED A 60 FOR 14 15 YEARS. I was like most bow hunters I was young and dumb once. I now shoot 56#s not because I can shoot 65#'s I'm only 49 but I  think I've got a little smarter I THINK. Your arrow speed don't mean much it you can't hit your target dose it.

I agree 100%, I wasn't meaning to be disagreeable by my original post. The mental image I got of someone hunting with such a heavy bow made me think of the Monty Python sketch where a couple of adventurous men were hunting mosquitoes with machine guns and bazookas. :D

I stand in awe of those people who can hunt with such heavy bows, like Pope and Young. More power to them!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 07:17:23 pm »
Noel,

Why are the tips splitting? This really shouldn't be happening and it probably isn't just because of the bow weight.

I have found that a heavy bow is no more difficult to make than a lighter one. It is just dimensionally bigger and harder work to pull during tillering.

A very highly stressed, unstable heavy bow would be a different issue I guess!
the reason it is splitting, is i was using side nocks, and nock having used them before, i didn't make them right, you can see them on a post i did earlier in the week, they also were just bare wood, what ever the cause, something needs to be done so i am going with the probably thing a have ..... evil fiber glass

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:13 pm »
Im working on a 100-150 pounder right now. This is only my 3rd successful bow build so Im no expert on the subject. I wanted a heavy bow both because I can pull 150 and also because it allows me to shoot a heavier more lethal arrow, which is important because I hunt in a residential area. Speed in and of itself is not overtly important but cast and PENETRATION is. That is why I shoot heavy, and because Howard Hill is the man. Just waiting on some string material from 3 rivers to short string it. I might have some pics up for you's guys in another week or so.
Its only wood