Author Topic: earth pigment paint bow question  (Read 6759 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: earth pigment paint bow question
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »
The number of sinew layers depends on the thickness of each layer.  Total thickness should not be more than 1/4" at the handle and not more than 1/8" at the tips.  You can always build up as much sinew as you want, but I don't think the actual Hupa Indian bows had a lot of sinew on the back.

As for the pigment + glue + sinew for the final layer, I don't think it's a good idea, although it would provide a good base for painting.  The reason I don't think it's a good idea is because hide glue (or any glue) becomes weaker when you add powdered pigments to it.  If the glue is weaker, the last layer of sinew will not be doing much and may even begin to peel off as it dries or as the bow is bent.  A better idea is to apply the sinew without adding the pigment and then paint over the top of the final layer of sinew with the glue/pigment mix.

As far as sprinkling the pigment powder over the wet glue, that's your call.  It's very messy and some of the pigment will rub off after the glue is dry.

Oh yeah, tests have shown that normal exposure to smoke will not provide enough formaldehyde to preserve hide glue for 35,000 years.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:21:51 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr