Author Topic: Mini vacation  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Keenan

Mini vacation
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:45:55 am »
Here are a few pics from our recent little get away.  First we headed over the Cascade range toward the coast but stopped at a little lake on the other side of the mountains,. Had the lake to ourselves and did some great future wood scouting, Found yew, vine maple and cascara as well as many more types.

Next we went to the Central Oregon coast and camped right next to the beach, Found ocean spray,syringa, and wild rose with bases about 2 inch diam. Talked to a local and got some for atalatle/arrow shafts and even some bow sizes.

I think someone was glad to be off the couch ;D

The next day the storm was blowing in hard so we went inland and up the Rouge River drainage. Incredible deep plush canyons with allot of NA history. The amount of diversity in trees was mind boggling, Yew,cascara,Vine Maple,elm,myrtle,and just about every white wood you could imagine. Just after we made camp for the day, it started raining "hard". Inside the camper it sounded like a torrential downpoor. Never stopped all night and through the next day. I scouted anyway ;D. Later that afternoon, the ranger was there measuring the river that had gone from this beautiful aqua green tranquil creek to a raging brown torrent. He said it had put down over three inches in 24 hrs. Wish I had taken a pic before we left.

We packed up due to dangerous conditions and headed south down towards the Oregon/Claifornia border. Took a nice drive through the redwoods and headed for home because of reports of heavy snows at home. The Redwoods are incredible and beyond belief. Had a great little get away to help pass the time for Lulyn and get a break from the stresses of life. We did come home to about 8 inches of fresh snow. ::)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:49:02 am by Keenan »

Offline Keenan

Re: Mini vacation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:46:56 am »
 A few more:

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:49:06 am »
Cant see the forest for the staves!! Man you got it bad and you got it good.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:11 am »
Looks like a good time and some beautiful country. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:41 am »
Thanks for the photos!  Brought back some memories as I taught school in Reedsport for several years in the old days.  Thats where we made bows in school and hunted elk and blacktails there.  Glass floats in the winter, steelhead in the spring, scuba diving for fish, digging clams, Striped bass in the Umquah, and all the different woods just for the picking!  Also had a couple of fellows from Fortuna (Red Woods) come to the ranch in Wyoming for several years to hunt trophy mule deer!  Spent my spring break each year camped out in Eastern Oregon hunting arrowheads and calling coyotes.  Its good to see Lulyn out and about.  Great Get Away!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »
Nice pics Keenan, man i need to see those Redwoods in person someday !

Thanks for sharing  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48:59 pm »
beautiful pictures. glad you folks had fun
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »
YEP,home sweet home....OR i should say one of my homes...its a nice drive up lobster creek in gold beach...john

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »
beautiful pics, my wife and I were down there at the beginning of this month, and got within 10 feet of an elk in Northern California.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:22 am »
Right on Joel, How are you doing Bro?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:08:32 am »
Beautiful pictures Keenan. And that puppy of yours is growing fast!
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 02:25:19 am »
I gotta get back to Oregon. What a difference a mountain range(or two) makes!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:11:20 am »
awesome
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »
yeah pat,take some time driving around the country out here..and maybe even have a tree or 2 hop in the back of your truck. ;D ;D..john

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 04:31:41 am »
Keenan, Im doing good. Ive got a third baby on the way. So things are hectic. Making bows every now and then.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley