Author Topic: Art Young's bow  (Read 14201 times)

Offline smoke

Art Young's bow
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:18:19 am »
Lately I've had the desire to attempt to replicate Art Young's trusty hunting bow.  Would any of you have the dimensions of that bow?  I know he preferred osage and shot bows somewhat short - in the 66 inch range but that is about all I know.  Any insights are appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Art Young's bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:22:16 am »
Someone on here a few years ago built an Art Young replica bow.Have you done a search?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoke

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:37:53 am »
Thanks Pat.  I did do a search but didn't see anything. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »
I'll see if I can fine dimensions for you or at least a discription.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »
I googled Art Young's bow dimension's and got referanced to the 1995 traditional bowhunter artical by Joe St. Charles, Art Young's Bow, says it's a detailed look at his bows, nowif ya can just find a magazine from '95,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:47:35 pm »
Did S. Pope write them up in one of his books? It's been awhile since I read 'Hunting with the Bow & Arrow' and I just can't remember and the book is buried in a box I have not found yet after the move.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:44:43 pm »
I'm with Bevan, I'm pretty sure Young's bows were similiar to Pope's from Hunting with the Bow and Arrow, only shorter (62-66") and Osage. Seemed like a basic ELB style bow with rawhide backing. Most of them were very heavy (85-90#) and had quite a bit of string follow (2-3").

Offline snag

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »
I'm reading "Hunting with a Bow and Arrow" right now. He does give dimensions of his bow. Maybe in the first addition books there are pictures as well. I can list the dimensions tonight if need be.
When hunting cougars they would run after their baying dogs through thick brush and trees. I am sure a little shorter bow would be an advantage in this situation.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 06:26:57 pm »
Many years ago, someone sent me an original paperback copy of Hunting with the Bow and Arrow. It has a middle section of photo's and line drawings of bows, arrows, fletching.

Bevan

Offline smoke

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Hunting with the Bow and Arrow was actually my inspiration for wanting to do this project.  Saxton Pope gives a great description of his bow but he was a "yew man" and there just aren't many yew trees growing in Nebraska.  Osage on the other hand, is another matter.  Unfortunately Pope doesn't give any description of Young's bow.  So . . . any and all insights are welcome and appreciated!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:44 pm »
Where in Nebraska you at? I am out on the west end where not even Osage grows. :'(

Bevan

Offline smoke

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »
Bevan, I live in Lincoln and hunt south of town near Tecumseh.  Osage seems to be the dominant tree there.  A friend of mine there cuts it and sells a lot of it on Ebay so let me know if I can help you acquire any.  Also, if you are "out west" my wife grew up in Chadron - where are you?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »
My house is between Scottsbluff (Home of Miss America 2011!!!) and Mitchell.
I think I have purchases some staves from your friend off ebay. I will be going through that area this weekend. Going to St. Joseph MO to meet a new sister-in-law and to try to fill my pickup with wood from my brother & sister-in-law's (not the new one) farm in Kansas.
In the book I have by Pope, he talks about making a bow from ceder. Is that the same book you read? It just seems to me that he describes both his and Young's bow & arrows. must be wrong.

Bevan

Offline smoke

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:33:26 pm »
Bevan, I don't believe that is the same book - in my book Pope was very clear that Yew was the best way to go.  But I confess that I have a nice cedar stave drying now for a long bow - also obtained from my pal in Tecumseh.  Let me know if I can ever help get you some staves from him - and I appreciate your insights here.

P.S. I'm not surprised one bit that Miss America came from your neck of the woods . . . a lot of pretty girls come from out there . . . my wife is proof!     

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:05:49 pm »
You might try contacting this outfit...

http://www.archeryhalloffame.org/Young.html

They might be able to help you.

Bevan