Author Topic: Red Oak Recurve Sneak Peek  (Read 10804 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Red Oak Recurve Sneak Peek
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:20 am »
That's a beauty! Fine work Josh. I think I'll try to steam bend something on the next one...never done it before.
Rockford, MI

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 11:47:38 am »
Thanks everyone.  I cut this bow in half before steaming so that I could get both limbs over the pot at the same time so I wouldn't have to wait as long LOL.   ;D  Then I just spliced it back together after I got the curves bent in.   Seems to have worked pretty well to me.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:44 pm »
Great looking recurves!  Will you put a cloth backing on it?  Looking forward to seeing this one, Josh.
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:49 pm »
Thanks parnell.  The grain on this one is ok so I think I will leave it air-backed unless something changes.  I have shot around 50 arrows through it and pulled it to 28 a million times on the tree so far and it seems to be holding up just fine and the tiller is stable on it so I think it is good to go.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »
looks good Josh. did  you have any alignment issues? can't wait to see more
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Josh

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »
Nope.  none whatsoever.  This bow just kinda all came together and fell into place all on its own.  It even tillered itself too.  I put it on the long string ONE time after floor tillering it and decided it was ready to brace.  After brace it was pulling about perfect just needed to move some of the bend out away from the fades on the top limb.  It surprised me how fast it was ready to shoot in.  It just wanted to be a bow I guess...  ???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:51:45 pm by Josh »

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 12:35:19 am »
Can't wait to see more pics.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 12:59:45 am »
lookin good Josh nice curves on that thing,can't wait to see final product.I've had that a time or two-you string it up and it seems ready to go-Hammertime

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 07:56:23 am »
That is going to be sweet Josh,you got to love the curves.Very nice job so far.Can't wait to see
it all finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good