Author Topic: Primitive Archer Bow Trade  (Read 70123 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Primitive Archer Bow Trade
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2011, 03:17:31 pm »
if the staves are good fro that black locust do you think someone would trade a nice osage stave for me to use for the trade, with the cherry though, its a good thing that it is one of those trees with a branch almost the size of the trunk that was kept of the ground
thanks for the help, i cant wait to find out who im building for,
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

JustinNC

« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2011, 03:43:47 pm »
Cherry will still get buggy and rot, even off the ground, if left in the elements....better check it really well.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »
Cherry will still get buggy and rot, even off the ground, if left in the elements....better check it really well.
i will look over it very well, but i figure its worth a try ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2011, 04:37:14 pm »
scratch the bark on the cherry and if it is brown leave it alone. If it is bright green, it should be OK.

You will probably have to offer more than a green locust stave for a seasoned osage.  Go to the "trade post" and ask on there when you get your stave split out and cleaned up so folks can see what they are trading for. You might get another type of seasoned bow wood for a green locust stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »
scratch the bark on the cherry and if it is brown leave it alone. If it is bright green, it should be OK.
well the bark on the cherry's we have are usually thick and brown to black, even when alive, but the good thing is i just realized i have 1  osage stave that might be good enough for the trade, i need to look closer, because even though it would be fine for me, i want to give the best i can

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »
You have to scratch the bark to reveal the green color under the outside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »
You have to scratch the bark to reveal the green color under the outside.
oh, ok that makes more sense, i thought you meant thebrak would be green :D
thanks, everyone here is really so helpful, and patient, especially with people starting off
noel
PS: i really wish i knew i would get into building bows this winter, i would have started to season some wood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2011, 05:03:36 pm »
Never too late to start!

The only living parts of a tree are between the bark and wood (the cambium), and the buds. Everything else it dead, wood and bark!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2011, 05:14:53 pm »
Never too late to start!

The only living parts of a tree are between the bark and wood (the cambium), and the buds. Everything else it dead, wood and bark!
well, thats something i din't know that might prove very helpful ;D
thanks
noel
by the way, ijust tried shooting that 140lb bow, and the arrows were a little short, 28in, but i did get 180ish, the first shot would have gone farther, but i wasnt paying attention and it leaped 5ft out of my hand ;D

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »
Fishfinder - if you don't have any seasoned wood, there's no shame in building a board bow.  There's lot's of good wood for that.  That's likely what I'll be using, some maple.  The only "stave" that I have is a chokecherry that I cut in the fall and roughed out, but I'm not sure if it's ready yet.  I personally would not want to give someone a bow made out of questionable wood.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »
Fishfinder - if you don't have any seasoned wood, there's no shame in building a board bow.  There's lot's of good wood for that.  That's likely what I'll be using, some maple.  The only "stave" that I have is a chokecherry that I cut in the fall and roughed out, but I'm not sure if it's ready yet.  I personally would not want to give someone a bow made out of questionable wood.
i feel the same way, the only problem is that i have never made a board bow, but i think ill be fine with what i have ;)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2011, 06:58:29 pm »
o.k if its not to late...i cant leave my oregon brothers hanging.....blacktail.....righthand-25" draw.....50 pound range is good...no shipping out of country i am broke...HECK,i would trade for a hickory or osage stave..

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2011, 11:16:36 pm »
If you dont have a GOOD after your name and info on the most recent list on page 14 I still need your address so whoever draws you know where to ship your bow. PM me the address please if you havent already Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »
well i looked at my wood stash yesterday and picked a winner  ;D
now i just need to know for whom
cant wait for the end of the month

tomorrow,off comes the bark
then i'm just gonna stare at it untill it gives up  :D
and then i will beat on rcoks untill the end of the month  :)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2011, 02:32:58 am »
If Elktracker doesn't have all your info by the end of sign up you might not get a bow.  ;D  Please get your info to Josh so his work isn't made harder. He is doing a great job of collecting everyones info so please help him out!