Author Topic: Primitive Archer Bow Trade  (Read 70143 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Primitive Archer Bow Trade
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »
Bows should be shipped by the 4th of July and arrows are the responsability of the recipient  :)

I like to tune my own arrows  :)

I bet 50's would make a great backing  :D

Fact is, with the linen content of American (and Canadian) money, it would make a fine backing material.  I'm feeling kinda froggy about this idea and think I may need to jump soon.    >:D

No shortage of crazy ideas on this forum. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline John K

« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:09 pm »
Tite bond II would work fine

Not thinking of $50 but of $1. I figure it would still be cheaper than some of the other backing I have used. And striking!

I will have to give this serious thought. What glue do you think?

Bevan
:)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline John K

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2011, 11:51:43 pm »
Bet ya it would be the first of it's kind !
Bows should be shipped by the 4th of July and arrows are the responsability of the recipient  :)

I like to tune my own arrows  :)

Fact is, with the linen content of American (and Canadian) money, it would make a fine backing material.  I'm feeling kinda froggy about this idea and think I may need to jump soon.    >:D

No shortage of crazy ideas on this forum. 
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline sailordad

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »
well i have no idea who i am making a bow for
but if i dont go hunting this weekend
i will be starting on it  ;)
i plan on having it done and sent out before the classic
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2011, 12:22:39 am »
I just got an immage of a bow backed with $50 bills, Josh. Now I have to start thinking... :P

Bevan
if i get you i will back in fake 100's :o
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2011, 01:04:08 am »
I just got an immage of a bow backed with $50 bills, Josh. Now I have to start thinking... :P

Bevan
if i get you i will back in fake 100's :o

It's all about the Benjamins.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08:37 am »
Tite bond II would work fine

You think it would soak into the bills enough? Would you put an external coat on it also, treat it like cloth? Pre-dampen the bills like snake skin or rawhide?

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2011, 01:16:18 am »
Just did a quick calc and just overlapping the bills a little, less than $15 to back a 60 - 66 inch bow.
Of course you would have to use the 'green back' side. :D

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2011, 01:24:55 am »
OK! July 4th, 2011 is the absolute last ship date! After that a real good excuse and a few of those fifties will be required.  ;D  You can ship your bow when you are satisfied it is finished and shot in well. We want to keep the reciepient suprizes good ones!  :o I think when folks see other's bows going out and other participants recieving their new bows the juices will really get flowing. I personally want to know who my bow is going to and make the bow that he or she wants. I won't have that info until I find out whose name was chosen for me.  Some of us that are familiar with building bows can crank one out pretty quickly. This can be intimidating to the new guys but we need to make it more of an incouraging situation and help whomever is in need.
   For the new folks...a picture is worth a thousand words. Be sure your cameras have fully charged batteries.  ::) (don't laugh) Also be aware of the background in your pics. We don't care about your new hedge or your Mustang! Good, detailed bow pics are what is needed for good diagnosis. Make the pics so the bow will stand out. FULL DRAW pics tell it all but a braced, unbraced and a back profile let us know what we are looking at.  Ask questions. The only dumb ones are the ones not asked. How can you find out if you don't ask. That is how I learned.
We have 39 folks signed up for the trade already and we have 12 more days to go with the sign up so we should have a pretty good group for our trade.  8)

An arrow trade is a good idea too but it will have to be seperate from this bow trade. You can see how complicated this can be alone.  ::)
I have been collecting arrows from folks as long as I have known arrow makers and have a pretty good collection so I'm always interested is arrow trades.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2011, 01:38:10 am »
PAT B i have just a few questions? first, are we shipping with bow strings, and secondly, are we going to be giving to the same person we getting from?
i have a suggestion though, i think everyone should write a short note about the bow and saying their name and user name to help familiarize everyone
thanks for listening
noel

Offline sailordad

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2011, 01:44:26 am »
oh i dont plan on crankig one out
thats not my style
it takes me on average of about 40hrs to get one done
like i said, probably will start on it this weekend
that just means i pick a nice piece of wood and get it prepped
reduce it down some
by then i'll be bored of working on it for a few days
then i'll pick it up again and look at it
put it in the vise,look down at my rock pile
say "screw it,im making a point instead"
that will go on nightly for a good 2 weeks before i actually start doing any real work on the bow  ;D ;)
by then i will know who its going to be for
then i might jsut have enough time to get it finished and gone before may  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2011, 01:45:10 am »
PAT B i have just a few questions? first, are we shipping with bow strings, and secondly, are we going to be giving to the same person we getting from?
i have a suggestion though, i think everyone should write a short note about the bow and saying their name and user name to help familiarize everyone
thanks for listening
noel

I think it's assumed that a bow would come with a string :)  I'm also guessing (or maybe hoping) that there will be 39 threads started in the near future (when the names are drawn), where everyone will be showing their work in progress.  That would give the newer guys a chance to get some advice, and maybe seek inspiration from the ideas of the more experienced bowyers.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2011, 01:48:04 am »
Sounds like me and sailordad could be using the same shop and working on bows for this trade but never actually run into each other!

That's about the way I work too.  Couldn't make an 8 hour a day job outa this, much as I love it.  I need plenty of "walkaway" time.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:28 am »
Sounds like me and sailordad could be using the same shop and working on bows for this trade but never actually run into each other!

That's about the way I work too.  Couldn't make an 8 hour a day job outa this, much as I love it.  I need plenty of "walkaway" time.
me on the other hand, well when i get a new stave will start around 10pm maybe earlier or later, and then go to 2-3 am, then repeat the next night, after that im pretty close to being at tillering stage unless its a challenging stave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2011, 02:00:19 am »
Noel, every bow shipped should be shootable on arival so a bow string is manditory. If you don't know how to make one, now will be a good time to learn. If you are going to build bows you need to know how to build a string.  The person you send a bow to won't necessarily be the person you recieve a bow from. A bow without a string is a stick!  ;D
 A note enclosed with the bow you ship out will help you and your reciepient become more familiar with each other. One of the main purposes of this trade is the personal reactions and knowledge we will all share and recieve and the friendships made and/or strengthened. Rich emphasized this from the very beginning of this trade.  Also, each bow sent out should be signed by the maker, to the reciepient and dated. Other pertainent info included should be the wood used, overall length(either n/n or t/t), draw weight and length.   Some folks use "Sharpie" indelible pens for signing a bow. I prefer India ink. Be sure whatever you use is permanent and will not fade over time. These bows could easily be party of archery history in 100 years so lets let our future bow enthusiastits know who we are.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC