Author Topic: Shellac, is it too brittle?  (Read 4615 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Shellac, is it too brittle?
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:16:39 am »
I have often read that shellac is brittle finish.  Bows bend. Do we have a problem here?  Anybody use shellac as a bow finish? I am attracted to the look, and the fact that its made out of insect exoskeletons is also pretty cool.  I was considering a shellac under several coats of beeswax.  But am concerned about checking in the finish do to the bows bending action. I saw the article in PA, so I assume shellacs can work, but I didst read any discussion of the finishes flexibility.

Also anything wrong with canned shellac or are we only hip if we mix it ourselves.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shellac, is it too brittle?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:28:40 am »
Shellac and linseed oil has been a traditional mixture used for bow finish. The mixture is called French polish. It is a good finish but has to be replenished frequently.
 Shellac in a can is fine but once opened it has a limited shelf life. You can buy shellac flakes and disolve them in denatured alcohol to use. Shellac flakes will last indefinately if stored properly and you mix it as you need it.    I buy shellac in a spray can for sealing bow wood. It is more expensive but for as little as I need it works out well. Indefinate shelf life for shellac in a spray can too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:06 am »
Thanks Pat.  I just looked up the French Polish.  It very nice, but as you suggested doesn't seem as durable as some other options.  I think I might stick with multiple coats of Tung oil, finished with beeswax.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline gmc

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:07 am »
Gabe, I've used shellac many times as finish for bows and shellac has its place. Trying to find a decent stain for Hickory lead me to shellac as Hickory doesn't stain well but found amber shellac will do the trick.

I haven't had any experience with shellac being brittle and the stuff will adhere to about anything. I think the biggest issue folks encounter with shellac is application. It is hard to apply until you understand how it works. I use Bulls Eye out of the can and dilute pretty thin prior to using with alcohol (the purist might even use pure grain) without really building it up much on the bow. I would never go to the extent of using the french polish method for appling but it will certainly educate you on how it should be applied and then you can find what works best for you. Google french polish method.

Another good method I've found is using boiled linseed oil as a natural stain, let dry appropriately and then seal with shellac. This also works well staying closer to nature without all the harsh chemicals to deal with.

Give it a shot some time.

Central Kentucky

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57:04 pm »
 :o Spooky stuff here guys.
I was just about to post the same question!  I was reading about shellac, and liking the non toxic aspect, and wondering about the flexibility, too.  The replenishing part doesn't even bother me, I think.
Glad you posted, Ross!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:39:47 am »
Well, I've got the shellac sitting on my shelf.  Went with the Tung oil, I'm about to put my second coat on tomorrow, and I must say I like the way it looks, and its easy to apply. I haven't given up on shellac for the future, but the bow I'm working on now is for a trade with a fly rod maker and I want to stick with the tried and true.  Hope to post the bow before she's gone. Its been a roller coaster with this one, nice piece of Klamath Plum.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.