Author Topic: Hickory Plains Bow  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Hickory Plains Bow
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:47 pm »
After splitting out several hickory staves in September I had a small stave left over, and decided not to waste it. Decided to make a light weight plains bow and give it to my wife to use whenever she teaches her Native American history in the fall. Dimensions: 48" NTN 1 1/4" at the handle, 5/8" at the nock, 30# at 22" draw.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline half eye

Re: Hickory Plains Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:59:23 pm »
Hrothgar, sweet little bow there, hickory's good wood.
rich

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »
That's the way! I like it. Getting the fever again...
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »
Nice bow!!! I like it a lot.
Rockford, MI

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:26:37 pm »
Dimensions: 48" NTN 1 1/4" at the handle, 5/8" at the nock, 30# at 22" draw.

I just finished a bow with those exact same dimensions! Made from hickory too :D

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:30:12 pm »
Even though this bow is destined to be a wall hanger, the tiller is driving me a little crazy. I've got it bending more through the handle and took a little more off between the knot and the right tip. I would like to take more off at the knot but am afraid of weakening it there. I may just have to leave it a bit stiff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eric

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »
If it's not a hunting bow, I wouldn't worry about the pull weight.  As long as it looks like a plains bow, you'll be fine.

I would remove that knot.  Indian bows were made with clear wood.  You will loose some poundage, but your bow will look authentic.  I would also remove some wood from the belly of that handle so the handle is not so noticeable.  You can also narrow the tips down to 1/2" or even 3/8".

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:10 pm »
Jackcrafty, thanks for the info. I knew the handle wasn't exactly authentic, quess there isn't any reason to keep it. I was thinking of wrapping the handle in either sisal or with a piece of tanned sheep skin, would either of those be authentic?
Thanks,
Eric

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »
My current bow is a hickory bow as well granted it is 64" ntn but it has a knot too.  I worked it quite a bit but I just couldn't get that area to bend.  I worked it a bit more and it started to come along.  The bow pulls 50# at 28" but then it is much longer than the one you are creating.  My guess based on only minimal experience would be you could work that area and be fine....

Very nice bow by the way.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:19:46 pm »
The handles I've seen are either plain or wrapped with buckskin.  Sometimes wool cloth (red or blue) was wrapped around the handles and then kept in place with a wrap of buckskin lace or cordage.

Tiller looks great, by the way. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:36:52 am »
I agree with Jackcrafty.  The original plains bows I've seen in museums are some of the plainest looking bows I've ever seen.  Just clear grain, no handle and plain handle wraps ( if any.)  J.  Hamm and S. Alley certainly found and illustrated some fancier ones, but most appear to have been pretty plain.  ( Make a pun out of that if you wish.)  There is a bow in the Nebraska State Historical Society museum that was collected on the Iowa reservation, that has the upper tip carved into a lizard head.
I like the one Hrothgar's working on.        Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:05:58 am »
Hrothgar, you've given me an idea...  ;D

There is an empty display case in my building (I'm a professor in the social science building on a college campus) that is just ASKING for a Native American display. I could make a light poundage bow of this style just for the display case. It would be a relatively fast project that could get me back into the bow shop after a few months hiatus as well as a warm-up before I go ruining a perfectly good osage stave that should make a hunting bow. 2 birds, 1 arrow, as it were.  :P

Brilliant!
-Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:07:06 am »
Cool little bow Eric,Tiller looks good and I always enjoy looking at your work Patrick.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 02:19:02 pm »
Very nice bow simple but elegant at the same time.  Tiller looks great.  Bookmarked for Feb. BOM contest as well.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln