Author Topic: Hearing 'tic, tic'  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Hearing 'tic, tic'
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:43:22 pm »
Been working on this bow, hickory backed ipe. 65" ntn and was planning on 50# @ 27". Finally got it bending enough to put on a short string. When I put it on the scale & started pulling it, I got to about 40# and about half draw when I thought I head a 'tic, tic' got the string off and looked everything over and could not see and splinters. thought maybe it was because the backing and belly were still rough so I sanded then down to round off the sharp corners. restrung and still hear the 'tic, tic' when I get to about 12" - 15" of draw and about 40#. Do you think the ipe is overpowering the hickory? This is a hickory strip I got from someone other than my favorite supplier (Murry Gaskins) and I am not sure it will hold. tried to get the best pics I could to show the belly/backing ration and the front and side profiles.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hearing 'tic, tic'
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:01:34 pm »
 I'd say check your hickory real close. I lifted a splinter the same way on a hickory backed osage. Oh, why do I keep using hickory down here for bows and not BBQ's? ::) :-\
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »
The best way to check to see if there's a splinter pulling up after hearing a noise is to brace the bow and then check it.  If you still can't see anything then use a T stick and pull it back to where you heard the noise and check it again
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:53 pm »
Still might get there (the BBQ I mean). Is ipe toxic?  ;)

I know this sounds dumb, but what about a backing for the backing? I was thinking of some goat rawhide. Waste of time and $$?

Bevan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:20:01 pm »
 I'm going to back the one that lifted a splinter on me with deer rawhide. It was almost finished, so I'm going to finish it. I super glued it down and then sanded most of it gone
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:26:25 pm »
I'm thinking of stopping right now and gluing a strip of goat on it. Then starting on the tiller when I get back from MO in a couple of weeks.  :-\

Man I wish Murry had some hic to ship!! ;) I spoke to him the other day and told him I had some wood that I will only start to work on when I can get some of his hickory backing. 8)

Bevan

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »
you'll feel a very small splinter starting to lift before you can see it, if you polish the back down real smooth, string it on a long string and run your fingers up and down!! It could also be a dodgy section of glue line I had this once with ipe and had to reglue , did you seriously degrease the ipe before gluing, with acetone? its tricky to glue sometimes!! You probably know all this anyway, but I tried ;D
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »
 Along the same thought dragonman is going, string the bow and rub a cotton ball down it and see if it snags on the splinter.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »
Havn't done the cotton ball thing yet. Beginning to suspect its the glue ticing. I cleaned it but this is the 1st ipe i have ever done so now I am rethinking the rawhide thing. No need to back a backing tha is coming off.
Going to set it aside and ponder it this week. Thanks for all the help.

Bevan

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:16 am »
Along the same thought dragonman is going, string the bow and rub a cotton ball down it and see if it snags on the splinter.

Dang Good idea Mullet. I'll try that one next time I hear a tic. I seem to hear a lot of tics with my attempts :-[ ;)

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »
I hear this when I start tillering, and it turned out to be the string grooves was not cut deep enough and the string was making the noise sliding.  Hope thats all it is.
Westminster, MD

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:56:30 pm »
Check what Bigcountry said. Might be your string loops sliding over the rear shoulder of the string grooves. Hope that's all it is.......Art

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 03:15:44 pm »
I will check the string thing tonight after work. I am still leaning toward the glue issue. It seemed to me I was hearing the tic's about mid-limb on the lower limb. Will recheck tonight to make sure.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:05:35 pm »
tic may be dry joint, happens with Ipe. You wont know till it blows :o
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:58:59 pm »
what type of glue did you use to glue on the back? you should be able to heat it up to melt the glue and remove it, clean it up and  reglue. A lot of work but not as much as making a new bow and you wont waste the materials, just an idea....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......