Author Topic: First osage in progress...Reduced weight  (Read 15643 times)

Offline DEllis

First osage in progress...Reduced weight
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:32:34 am »
Got this in a trade with a fine gentleman from this forum. Figgured I'd show some progress reports so you guys who are osage guru's can correct my wrongs before I reach the point of no return ;D
Anyhoo, here's a pic of the stave. I drew a line down the middle following the grain.
Darcy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:57:53 pm by DEllis »
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline DEllis

Re: First osage in progress
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:42 am »
Quite clean with only one pin very near the tip and a crack on one end that I can build around.
cleaned up one edge along the grain and laid out the profile.......decided to build it to the side to miss that check.
Darcy Ellis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:41:47 am »
OH NO!!!  It's ruined!  You totally ruined it!!!   :o

Ok, 'nuff teasing.  That's a great looking stave and the centerline looks promising.  If you can cheat it off the check in the end you should be in like Flynn!  If not, remember that Og and Umguk back in paleo times would have used superglue if they had it!  Besides, as long as the crack doesn't run out the side of the bow, who cares?  I have built a bow with a check right down the center of the upper tip.  A nice and neat wrap of sinew and hideglue below the nocks locks it up right and tight. 

Keep us posted on the progress! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 01:43:19 am »
Cut out the profile. Will probably go somewhat narrower yet. Oh I suppose some explanation of the length and such might not hurt eh? ;D 65"tip to tip........Just a hair over 1.5 inches wide now. I want to do a slightly bendy handle. 70#@26 inches is what I am aiming for. A few progress pics. Chose the ring I want for the back and followed the early groth all the way around with a pencil so i don't get lost.
Darcy Ellis

Offline DEllis

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:08 am »
OH NO!!!  It's ruined!  You totally ruined it!!!   :o

That was quick! Oh well It'll burn OK I suppose eh? ;D

Chased the ring and thinned out the belly side a bit.......still too stiff to bend but it is time to gawk at it and try to picture what needs done next........tommorow I'll attack it some more >:D
A couple more pics.........you can see the few minor waves.........also a touch of twist but not enough to concern myself about.........I'll wait till it gets to brace before deciding if any steaming is nessesary to line stuff up.
Darcy Ellis

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:54:54 am »
Very interesting build. Looking forward to following it.

I was under the impression that is was better to get to your ring before you profiled it? Does it make a difference?

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:02:49 am »
Looking good Darcy. Presented like a seasoned pro.  Looking forward to your build along and your progress.
Beautiful piece of osage BTW.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 02:12:48 am »
Man what a fine job, you seem right at home with that osage.

Lowndes county Alabama osage in Canada only in the age of the internet.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 02:15:40 am »
Very interesting build. Looking forward to following it.

I was under the impression that is was better to get to your ring before you profiled it? Does it make a difference?

Bevan
No Idea if it is better or not. But this way I had a LOT less area of ring to chase down. I was only going down one ring so not too much chance of unhappy surprises showing up. If I was starting with the bark and sapwood still on there I'd probably hog it down close to my chosen ring, but not into it, then profile and chase the ring. I am no expert though. ;D
Thanks for the reply.
Thanks Pat, first time using this yeller wood, but I've ruined a truckload of other wood in the past ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis

Offline DEllis

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:17:17 am »
Man what a fine job, you seem right at home with that osage.

Lowndes county Alabama osage in Canada only in the age of the internet.

Thanks Jboyd..........It got snowed on a bit today while chasing the ring too ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:14 am »
I have had some rained on and it not hurt it, osage doesn't seem to soak up the moisture like
some other woods.

I know I usually take my osage down to just above my back ring and then profile it and
follow the back ring to cut down on the detailed work, but I have done them both ways.

I have come to learn that almost everybody usually does what works best for them.

Jamie Boyd

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 03:05:41 am »
Darcy, I always get the bow to profile before chasing a ring.  You are right, it is much less area that needs chased.  I wait to cut the depth until I get to the ring I want.  Your bow is looking good so far. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DEllis

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:43 am »
Thanks Osage Outlaw.
Some more progress today, slimmed it down some and got it bending a tiny bit. Decided the string was gonna lay off the handle a bit too much, plus it was torquing when I tried to floor tiller it so, time for some steam. 8)
Then while it cooled off  I took my sons and went hunting rabbits........one of them(rabbits not sons) ran into my arrow at about 20 yards. This was with my vine maple sapling bow 62#@26 inches. I am standing on snowshoes.....the snow is up past my waist otherwise. ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:03:29 am by DEllis »
Darcy Ellis

Offline DEllis

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 02:01:16 am »
After I got back, took the stave out of the press.......not too bad now. But I didn't like how asymetrical the limbs were when I bent it a bit. So I took out the reflexed kink near the one tip and fixed the deflexed kink near the handle..........much better now, about 2 inches of reflex and pretty even. That's all for today........will start bending it properly tomorrow.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:28 am »
It's all falling into place!  8)     Ain't osage cool bow wood?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC